Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Default formatting numeric data from Access merged into a Word table

Hi Shannon,

You can simplify the updating process by toggling field code display on, via
Alt-F9, then using Copy/Paste to replicate the changes. Depending on whether
you needed only to add the picture switch or introduce the extra field
coding, it may be easier to copy & paste:
.. the field switch to all affected fields; or
.. a single recoded field to all required locations, then update the field
names

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Shannon" wrote in message
Macropod's suggestion is working. Thanks. It's just a pain to do this 90
times. Someone else prepared the Word survey with tables already set up,
otherwise, I could copy and paste the codes. Actually, I could have done
that this time, if I had not already entered all the field names into the
table.

"macropod" wrote:

For the currency, all you need to do is to add a picture switch to the
mergefield in you mailmerge template. To do this:
.. select the mergefield
.. press Shift-F9 to expose the field code. It should look something

like
'{MERGEFIELD MyData}', where 'MyData' is your data field's name
.. delete everything between 'MyData' and the closing field brace
.. add ' \# $,0.00' after 'MyData', so that you end up with '{MERGEFIELD
MyData \# $,0.00}'
.. press F9 to update the field
.. run your mailmerge.

However, if you've already converted the values to percentages in Access
(heaven knows why), you can recover this in Word with just a little bit

more
work. In addition to the above, before updating the field:
.. select the 'MERGEFIELD MyData' string in your mergefield
.. press Ctrl-F9 to insert a new pair of field braces, so that you get
'{{MERGEFIELD MyData} \# $,0.00}'
.. insert an '=' sign between the first two field braces and '*100'

after the
third field brace, so that you get '{={MERGEFIELD MyData}*100 \#

$,0.00}'

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Shannon" wrote in message
So, did I just take off the "100*" and format all 90 fields to be

percentages
with 0 decimals in Access for naught? Are you saying I'm going to

have to
re-do all that in Word? I had to do that for each field, because I

when I
selected more than one field in the query, it took away the format

options.
It took a long time.

Now, will I have to make these switch changes in the table in Word
individually? I've never used one, but this nonsense makes me want to

switch
to a mac. Please tell me how to cluster or select all the inserted

fields
want and "switdh" them all in one command.

Shannon

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham

Mayor's
website at

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on

paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"LacieMoon" wrote in message
Greetings! I have created a very simple merge from a query in

Access
that
merges into a table in Word. The problem is a field defined as

currency in
Access does not "carry over" the formatting into the Word

document. I
can
put
a dollar sign in front of the field $Amount but I am dealing

with
large
numbers and need the comma separators. Does anyone know how I can

carry
over
the currency formatting from Access, OR correctly format the data

field in
the Word table?
Thanks for any suggestions, Lacie