Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Ann Mary Ann is offline

Default Change Date Content Control to UK format

I have inserted a Cover Page (Insert tab, Pages group) and used the Date
content control. It shows in the American format i.e. mm/dd/yyyy. How can I
change this to be the UK format?
Also, is it a date which automatically updates, or is static? If it
automatically updates, how do I change that setting?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Ann Mary Ann is offline

Thanks for your reply Suzanne.

The Control Panel, Regional and Language options, are set to United Kingdom
and the date shows there in the format I want i.e. 19/09/2008. My automatic
date fields appear elsewhere in the UK format e.g. in Excel or when I use the
Insert, Date and Time in Word. Its only these controls on the Cover Pages
that Ive found use the US format.

Do you have any further thoughts?

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
I have inserted a Cover Page (Insert tab, Pages group) and used the Date
content control. It shows in the American format i.e. mm/dd/yyyy. How can
change this to be the UK format?
Also, is it a date which automatically updates, or is static? If it
automatically updates, how do I change that setting?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Suzanne,

The formatting of date fields in Word is generally dependent on your Windows
default settings for date format.

Actually, no, it's dependent on the language formatting applied to the text in
which the date field stands.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suggest you do this:
a. click the Developer tab. if you do not see it, check Office Button-Word
Options-Popular-Show Developer tab in the Ribbon
b. click Design Mode in the "Controls" group
c. Right-click the date control, click Properties, and set the format you
want.
d. click Design mode again

If you're going to be using this cover page a lot, it's probably worth
saving the modified version as a Quick Part, separate document or whatever.
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
I have inserted a Cover Page (Insert tab, Pages group) and used the Date
content control. It shows in the American format i.e. mm/dd/yyyy. How can
change this to be the UK format?
Also, is it a date which automatically updates, or is static? If it
automatically updates, how do I change that setting?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Ann Mary Ann is offline

Thanks Suzanne. I tried this €“ had to select the whole row to get the
language to change. But the date format remained unaltered. Am I doing
something wrong?

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
I have inserted a Cover Page (Insert tab, Pages group) and used the Date
content control. It shows in the American format i.e. mm/dd/yyyy. How
can
change this to be the UK format?
Also, is it a date which automatically updates, or is static? If it
automatically updates, how do I change that setting?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Ann Mary Ann is offline

Thank you for this. and your step by step instructions. I did get it to work
€“ but a bit long-winded unless you are saving the cover page as you suggest.

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
I have inserted a Cover Page (Insert tab, Pages group) and used the Date
content control. It shows in the American format i.e. mm/dd/yyyy. How can
change this to be the UK format?
Also, is it a date which automatically updates, or is static? If it
automatically updates, how do I change that setting?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

€“ but a bit long-winded

I agree, but I think it's the only way to do it.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk