Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TomTom625 TomTom625 is offline

Default Print from Word to HP envelope feeder on LJ4000

I am trying to print envelopes from Word to a HP document feeder on a
laserjet 4000 printer. Canany tell me how to get this to work?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Probably not, but what is going wrong? Are you getting the envelopes, but
the wrong way round or stretched vertically or horizontally, or are you just
getting one envelope, or are they going to the wrong tray, or what?

Sometimes with supposedly "special" sizes I find it is easier to set the
paper size for the envelopes to your standard paper size (letter or A4) and
lay out the envelope in the part of the paper that makes it print correctly
given the way you have to load the paper stock. But that may not work either
if the driver/printer insists that the correct paper size actually has to be
loaded before it will print.

Peter Jamieson
"TomTom625" wrote in message
I am trying to print envelopes from Word to a HP document feeder on a
laserjet 4000 printer. Canany tell me how to get this to work?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

"TomTom625" wrote:

I am trying to print envelopes from Word to a HP document feeder on a
laserjet 4000 printer. Canany tell me how to get this to work?

I understand how to print envelopes one at a time on Tray 1 manual feed.

The problem is with an HP envelope feeder for my HP Laserjet4000 printer
which takes 75 envelopes and should feed automatically. This feeder show a
paper source option under printer properties but when selected the printer
ignores it and just feeds ordinary paper! I want to be able to mailmerge
addresses direct to envelopes from Word. Any ideas please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Only suggestions:
a. if possible, make sure that your printer driver is set up (i.e.
independently of Word's settings) to get paper from the envelope tray
b. merge to an output document first, then see what tray the output is set
to (check more than one section in the output document). If necessary,
change the output tray for all the sections.

Do you know if this particular printer will accept Postscript as well as HP
PCL output?

Peter Jamieson

"TomTom625" wrote in message

"TomTom625" wrote:

I am trying to print envelopes from Word to a HP document feeder on a
laserjet 4000 printer. Canany tell me how to get this to work?

I understand how to print envelopes one at a time on Tray 1 manual feed.

The problem is with an HP envelope feeder for my HP Laserjet4000 printer
which takes 75 envelopes and should feed automatically. This feeder show
paper source option under printer properties but when selected the printer
ignores it and just feeds ordinary paper! I want to be able to mailmerge
addresses direct to envelopes from Word. Any ideas please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TomTom625 TomTom625 is offline

The printer driver is set up and I have tried changing the tray options in
various combinations - but just can not get anything to feed from the
envelope feeder.
Paper feeds OK from Tray 1, Tray 2 and Tray 3 as required and the duplex
unit works ok also - just the envelope feeder will not work!!

I think this printer can print postscript (possibly with a different driver)

Thanks

"TomTom625" wrote in message

"TomTom625" wrote:

I am trying to print envelopes from Word to a HP document feeder on a
laserjet 4000 printer. Canany tell me how to get this to work?

I understand how to print envelopes one at a time on Tray 1 manual feed.

The problem is with an HP envelope feeder for my HP Laserjet4000 printer
which takes 75 envelopes and should feed automatically. This feeder show
paper source option under printer properties but when selected the printer
ignores it and just feeds ordinary paper! I want to be able to mailmerge
addresses direct to envelopes from Word. Any ideas please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, not sure I can help further on this one as, but will have a look in a
day or so when I am in a better position to do so. If you think there is a
Postscript alternative that you can try, please try it!

Peter Jamieson

"TomTom625" wrote in message

"TomTom625" wrote:

I am trying to print envelopes from Word to a HP document feeder on a
laserjet 4000 printer. Canany tell me how to get this to work?

I understand how to print envelopes one at a time on Tray 1 manual
feed.
The problem is with an HP envelope feeder for my HP Laserjet4000
printer
which takes 75 envelopes and should feed automatically. This feeder
show
paper source option under printer properties but when selected the
printer
ignores it and just feeds ordinary paper! I want to be able to
mailmerge
addresses direct to envelopes from Word. Any ideas please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

A few more questions: I re-read your message and I get the impression you
cannot print to the envelope tray at all (at first I thought it was just
during an envelope merge). Is that correct? If so,
a. does it make any difference what paper (envelope) size you specify?
b. have you tried printing to the envelope tray from another application
(e.g. Notepad or Wordpad)? Does that work?

Which version of Windows are you using?

Do you have the latest version of the drivers? (Incidentally, I visited HP's
site at www.hp.com but the LJ4000 support pages seemed to be missing - is
that also your experience?)

Peter Jamieson