Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sawcat

Default Word 2003 Shuts down when attempting to insert photo from file

I have been trying to insert some photos I have taken in to my word file but
it keeps shutting down on me. What I've been doing:

I open the document, place the cursor where I want the image.
I go to Insert Image from File
I click the my documents with the button on the left, as my work folder was
there (I've moved it to the desktop and it still happens).
I find my work folder, double click on it.
Word shuts down

I've tried by just once clicking on my work folder, then click the open
button in the box, and the same thing happens. There is no error messages
displayed, it just goes away.

MY computer is set on auto-update so all the microsoft products are up to
date. I double checked by going to the update sites manually. I'm running a
virus scan as a precaution. Any idea on what is going on? The only changes
I've done in the last week are installed a new keyboard and mouse, installed
a usb memory card reader, and I noticed there was a Windows update downloaded
on the 10th of May.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?c2F3Y2F0?=,

This is with just the one document, or also with new documents?

What graphics type are you trying to insert? Does the problem occur with other
graphics types, such as bmp? (You can find a couple of "simple" bmp files in the
Windows folder.)

If you hold down CTRL when starting Word, to go into Safe Mode, does the problem
persist or can you insert a picture?

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sawcat

I am using jpg files, as I need to keep the file size down,as I submit my
reports over the internet. I've been doing these reports since February, the
same way, with digital photos that are reduced to a specific size need to
keep the report in format. This has only become an issue really during this
last week (it might have done it before yesterday, but I'm not positive now.
If it did, it wasn't at the severity).

The strange thing, I was playing around, and it's flip flopping from working
to not. One thing I noticed, is if I have my work folder open, and double
click on the file to launch word, it crashes with no warning, no error. When
I open up word, then you it's file open to open to document, when I try to
insert the image, it lets me get into the image folder, but when I try to
insert one it freezes, does the submit error report thing, and that freezes
too.

I did try the Safe Mode once, and it inserted just fine. Also, I noticed
that when I just inserted an image into a blank document, it took it fine;
and when I next opened the report (via the word open button), it would insert
fine.

But as for the crashing incidences, I tried on two of my files and both did
the same. However they were made from "Save as..." an existing file, both
origination from the same earlier file (the reports are very formulaic, so we
just change the pertinent information). One thing I was going to try is to
make a template of our letterhead from a different existing file, and copy
the text portion into it, and see if it worked well with that.

On advice from someone on the CNet forums, where I also asked, I tried
deleting the normal.dot and the data keys so it would recreate new ones,
however neither solved the problem.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?c2F3Y2F0?=,

I did try the Safe Mode once, and it inserted just fine. Also, I noticed
that when I just inserted an image into a blank document, it took it fine;
and when I next opened the report (via the word open button), it would insert
fine.

But as for the crashing incidences, I tried on two of my files and both did
the same. However they were made from "Save as..." an existing file, both
origination from the same earlier file (the reports are very formulaic, so we
just change the pertinent information). One thing I was going to try is to
make a template of our letterhead from a different existing file, and copy
the text portion into it, and see if it worked well with that.

Yes, this seems a good place to start. Be sure to NOT copy the last paragraph
mark - just everything up to it. You'll need to set the margins and recreate
headers/footers.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sawcat

Rebuilding it from a clean (I took a new document, copied the headers and
footers into it, then copied the text only parts of a different report)
document did not make a difference, as it crashed when I tried inputing the
images (it did do the notice of failure to microsoft without freezing for
this one).

I'm going to try working in safe mode today and do a long test of it. Do
you have any other ideas?

Sarah

Hi ?B?c2F3Y2F0?=,