Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Judy_Joned Judy_Joned is offline

Default how do I type a vertical fraction?

I want to just use Word and need to know how to type a fraction vertically -
not use the slash. How to I get the fraction to look like one printed in a
math book - with the division bar going horizontally and the other operation
signs being in proper proportion?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do I type a vertical fraction?

To type a vertical fraction in Microsoft Word, you can use the Equation feature. Here are the steps:
  1. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the Word window.
  2. Click on "Equation" in the "Symbols" section.
  3. Select "Fraction" from the dropdown menu.
  4. In the fraction box that appears, type the numerator in the top box and the denominator in the bottom box.
  5. To make the fraction vertical, click on the fraction and then click on "Design" in the ribbon.
  6. Click on "Fraction" in the "Structures" section.
  7. Select the "Vertical" option.

Your fraction should now be displayed vertically with the division bar going horizontally. You can adjust the size and formatting of the fraction using the options in the "Design" tab.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can use the Equation Editor, which you access via Insert -- but it
works very differently in different versions of Word, so if that's not
enough to get you started, you'll need to come back with more info for
further help.

On Apr 27, 12:33*pm, Judy_Joned
wrote:
I want to just use Word and need to know how to type a fraction vertically -
not use the slash. *How to I get the fraction to look like one printed in a
math book - with the division bar going horizontally and the other operation
signs *being in proper proportion?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use the EQ \f field. See the relevant portion of
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CreateFraction.htm.

You may need to change the font size of the field to get the desired
fraction size.

http://word.mvps.org

"Judy_Joned" wrote in message
I want to just use Word and need to know how to type a fraction
vertically -
not use the slash. How to I get the fraction to look like one printed in
math book - with the division bar going horizontally and the other
operation
signs being in proper proportion?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marysully marysully is offline

Go to Tools-AutoCorrect Options-AutoFormat, under Replace, check box to
change fraction from 1 / 2 to ½.

"Judy_Joned" wrote:

I want to just use Word and need to know how to type a fraction vertically -
not use the slash. How to I get the fraction to look like one printed in a
math book - with the division bar going horizontally and the other operation
signs being in proper proportion?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marysully marysully is offline

Please ignore my previous post. You have to use the Equation Editor. Go to
Insert, Object, Microsoft Equation, click on Fractions and Radical templates
on the toolbar to create the vertical fraction.

"Judy_Joned" wrote:

I want to just use Word and need to know how to type a fraction vertically -
not use the slash. How to I get the fraction to look like one printed in a
math book - with the division bar going horizontally and the other operation
signs being in proper proportion?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Wright Patrick Wright is offline

Do this exactly:

Press: ctrl+F9
Type: EQ \F(numerator,denominator)
Press: shift+F9

Voila!

On Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:20 PM Peter T. Daniels wrote:

You can use the Equation Editor, which you access via Insert -- but it
works very differently in different versions of Word, so if that is not
enough to get you started, you will need to come back with more info for
further help.

wrote:
y -
in a