klav klav is offline
Junior Member

Default field truncated

I am using the "insert database" command with an SQL statement to grab a specific row of data. From that one row, I am inserting one specific field, consisting only of text, into my Word document. I have also incorporated the "mergeformat" switch to have the text I am pulling appear in all caps. My problem is that the data is being truncated after 40 characters and looks like this:

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF MY RECORD TO BE IN

Any ideas on why this is happening? Also, I don't want the brackets around my data result -- how do I get rid of them?
Peter Jamieson

Which version of Word? What is the data source? Can you post the SQL here?

I have also
incorporated the "mergeformat" switch to have the text I am pulling
appear in all caps.

You could probably use the \*Upper switch instead, or there may be a
suitable function in the dialect of SQL you are using.

Peter Jamieson

--
klav

klav klav is offline
Junior Member

I'm using Word 2003. My data source is an Oracle database. My SQL statement looks like this:

{MERGEFIELD {DATABASE \d “c:\\mydatasource.odc” \c “connection string”
\s “SELECT \“TITLE\” FROM \“TABLE_NAME\” WHERE ((\“ID\” = ‘12345’))”}\*Upper}

Peter Jamieson

OK, the DATABASE field should not be nested inside a { MERGEFIELD } field.
At the moment, Word is treating the result of the Database field as the name
of a column in your merge. You can select the { DATABASE } field and
cut/paste it so it is outside the MERGEFIELD field.

Peter Jamieson

-
I have also
incorporated the "mergeformat" switch to have the text I am pulling
appear in all caps.-

You could probably use the \*Upper switch instead, or there may be a
suitable function in the dialect of SQL you are using.

Peter Jamieson

"klav" wrote in message
...-

I am using the "insert database" command with an SQL statement to grab
specific row of data. From that one row, I am inserting one specific
field, consisting only of text, into my Word document. I have also
incorporated the "mergeformat" switch to have the text I am pulling
appear in all caps. My problem is that the data is being truncated
after 40 characters and looks like this:

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF MY RECORD TO BE IN

Any ideas on why this is happening? Also, I don't want the brackets
around my data result -- how do I get rid of them?

--
klav-

--
klav

klav klav is offline
Junior Member

The reason I did that is because without it, I get an extra hard return before my data result and if I delete the hard return, the data result is deleted as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jamieson

Peter Jamieson Wrote:
Which version of Word? What is the data source? Can you post the SQL
here?
-
I have also
incorporated the "mergeformat" switch to have the text I am pulling
appear in all caps.-

You could probably use the \*Upper switch instead, or there may be a
suitable function in the dialect of SQL you are using.

Peter Jamieson

"klav"
wrote in message
...-

I am using the "insert database" command with an SQL statement to grab
specific row of data. From that one row, I am inserting one specific
field, consisting only of text, into my Word document. I have also
incorporated the "mergeformat" switch to have the text I am pulling
appear in all caps. My problem is that the data is being truncated
after 40 characters and looks like this:

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF MY RECORD TO BE IN

Any ideas on why this is happening? Also, I don't want the brackets
around my data result -- how do I get rid of them?

--
klav-

--
klav

Peter Jamieson

Yes, I have encountered this problem recently with Word 2003 only. I do not
think it ever used to happen. Here, I noticed that if I started with a
completely fresh normal.dot, the problem went away. but sooner or later it
comes back. It could be the result of an add-in (I have the addin that comes
with the full Acrobat here, and also one for Flashpaper2).

It might be worth finding and renaming your normal.dot to see if that makes
a difference there. However, I do not know of a permanent fix.

Peter Jamieson

Peter Jamieson Wrote:
OK, the DATABASE field should not be nested inside a { MERGEFIELD }
field.
At the moment, Word is treating the result of the Database field as the
name
of a column in your merge. You can select the { DATABASE } field and
cut/paste it so it is outside the MERGEFIELD field.

Peter Jamieson

...-

Peter Jamieson Wrote:-
Which version of Word? What is the data source? Can you post the SQL
here?
-
I have also
incorporated the "mergeformat" switch to have the text I am pulling
appear in all caps.-

You could probably use the \*Upper switch instead, or there may be a
suitable function in the dialect of SQL you are using.

Peter Jamieson

"klav"
...-