Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Default Linking to a Field

Greetings,
I've inherited a Word document in which a figure is shown on one page, and a
list of the parts that make it up is shown on the page.
The figure caption uses the SEQ field command:

SEQ Figure_6- \* ARABIC

And so each figure in this section shows up as 6-1, 6-2, etc. No problems
so far.
The parts list on the next page refers to the figure, so the parts list for
figure 6-2 would have, before each item, "6-2" Still no problems.

We had to add a figure in the early parts of the book and, since the figures
were all identified using the SEQ field command, they all updated without
problem.

The parts lists, however, had their figure numbers in as text, not a field,
so I'm looking at having to go down 70 pages of parts lists and updating
each line number with a new figure number. I can do a "Highlight the page,
do find/replace" 70 times but aside from being darned tedious, it'll have to
be repeated if we end up adding another figure.

I tried inserting a cross-reference, but none of them gave the option of
cross-referencing to the field in the figure.

Given the SEQ field command on each figure, is there a way I can link the
parts lists to that field so that when the figure number changes, the parts
list is updated with it? Is there a field for numbering I can add to the
figure (in the way of white, therefore invisible, text) that WILL take a
cross-reference?

I'm using Word 2003 sp2 in XP.

Thanks,
Shane