Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RSunday RSunday is offline

Default Heading numbers are wrong

I have define styles for headings (H1 and H2). They are supposed to number
like:

1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.2. Heading2
2. Heading1
2.1. Heading2
etc.

But they do it like:
1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.2. Heading2
2. Heading1
1.3. Heading2
1.4. Heading2

How do I get the H2 follow H1?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You have to set level 2 to restart after level 1, in the options for the
outline-numbered list. Instructions for Word 97-2003 can be found at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

If you are using Word 2007, do this: Place the insertion point in a Heading
1 paragraph. On the Home tab, click Multilevel List, and then click Define
New Multilevel List. You'll see a dialog box similar to the Customize
Outline Numbered List dialog box of Word 97-2003. You may have to click the
More button to see all options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"RSunday" wrote in message
I have define styles for headings (H1 and H2). They are supposed to number
like:

1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.2. Heading2
2. Heading1
2.1. Heading2
etc.

But they do it like:
1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.2. Heading2
2. Heading1
1.3. Heading2
1.4. Heading2

How do I get the H2 follow H1?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RSunday RSunday is offline

Word 2003 SP3

"Summer" wrote:

Which version of Word?
"RSunday" wrote in message
I have define styles for headings (H1 and H2). They are supposed to number
like:

1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.2. Heading2
2. Heading1
2.1. Heading2
etc.

But they do it like:
1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.2. Heading2
2. Heading1
1.3. Heading2
1.4. Heading2

How do I get the H2 follow H1?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Then see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html as
suggested by Stefan.

"RSunday" wrote in message
Word 2003 SP3

"Summer" wrote:

Which version of Word?
"RSunday" wrote in message
I have define styles for headings (H1 and H2). They are supposed to
number
like:

1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.2. Heading2
2. Heading1
2.1. Heading2
etc.

But they do it like:
1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.2. Heading2
2. Heading1
1.3. Heading2
1.4. Heading2

How do I get the H2 follow H1?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Judy Judy is offline

I am having the same problem, done all the techniques 9checking associated
with syles, restarting number), but still its a problem! help!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Then see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html as
suggested by Stefan.

"RSunday" wrote in message
Word 2003 SP3

"Summer" wrote:

Which version of Word?
"RSunday" wrote in message
I have define styles for headings (H1 and H2). They are supposed to
number
like:

1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.2. Heading2
2. Heading1
2.1. Heading2
etc.

But they do it like:
1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.2. Heading2
2. Heading1
1.3. Heading2
1.4. Heading2

How do I get the H2 follow H1?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Sometimes it is easier to delete the contents of the "Number format" box and
start over, carefully adding the numbering of previous levels as well as
that of the current level, and typing in the separators.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Then see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html
as
suggested by Stefan.

"RSunday" wrote in message
Word 2003 SP3

"Summer" wrote:

Which version of Word?
"RSunday" wrote in message
I have define styles for headings (H1 and H2). They are supposed to
number
like:

1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.2. Heading2
2. Heading1
2.1. Heading2
etc.

But they do it like:
1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.2. Heading2
2. Heading1
1.3. Heading2
1.4. Heading2

How do I get the H2 follow H1?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Easier still, in the bullets and numbering outline numbered tab, reset the
numbering that you are using (the one with the bold grey border). Then click
the customize button. In my experience (I get to work in Word on dozens of
computers every year), W2003 (and W2007)€”right out of the box€”gets this right.
Click the customize button, check to make sure my assertion is true, and
then make the other changes you need.

BTW, if you've made several attempts to fix your numbering scheme, you'll
notice by their presence on the outline numbered tab that Word has created a
new scheme every time. Avoid confusion later and get rid of the ones you
don't want by resetting them.

PamC

Stefan Blom wrote:
Sometimes it is easier to delete the contents of the "Number format" box and
start over, carefully adding the numbering of previous levels as well as
that of the current level, and typing in the separators.

I am having the same problem, done all the techniques 9checking associated
with syles, restarting number), but still its a problem! help!

[quoted text clipped - 26 lines]

How do I get the H2 follow H1?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It is certainly a good idea to Reset the galleries now and then. In
particular, you may want to do so before creating new numbering schemes (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...umbering.html). Note that
in Word 2007 you will have to delete the ListGal.dat file in the user
profile, as there is no longer a Bullets and Numbering dialog box.

Just to be clear, restoring the built-in numbering schemes does not delete
any excessive numbering schemes from Word documents. The best you can do is
copy the document contents (except for the final paragraph mark) to a new
file, which will clear the numbering schemes not included in the copied
data.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP