Fish

Default spellcheck in a form

Using Word 2004. Must be missing something. I create a form for others to
use. I protect it. When I do this there is no option to allow the data
entered by the user to be spell checked . I don't have the "spelling and
grammar" box checked per previous messages. The macro is not helpful. I'm a
user, not a programmer. When I tried to follw the directions, got the macro
to run, but only if I unprotected the document to be able to get to the macro
utility, which is disabled when you protect the form. When I enter data in
the form while protected and then turn off protection to try to spell check,
does catck any of the miss-spelling in the data I entered while in protected
mode. Help?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...ProtectDoc.htm

The macro is designed to unprotect the form, run spell check, and then
reprotect the form without clearing it. The form should be a template, and
the macro should be stored in the template (which is presumably unprotected
while you are designing it).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...ProtectDoc.htm

Charles Kenyon

With your template unprotected, add a command to your Tools menu in the
template. Note that you want to store this in the template, not in
normal.dot!

Tools Customize... Commands (tab)
Change Save in to your template.
left window: macros
right window: the macro to spell check forms
Move this to your tools menu (drag it)

You can right-click on the new command to change the displayed name if you
want to something like: &Spellcheck this Form

Then click on the Close button and save your template. With new or existing
forms you should be able to run the spell-check from the Tools menu.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oToToolbar.htm

If you want, you can make the F7 (Spell-check) key run the macro as well, by
clicking on the Keyboard button on the Customize dialog box. Again, make
sure your changes are being saved in your template.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...roToHotkey.htm

I have enough forms that I choose to make this a global command replacing
the ordinary spellcheck. (If run in a non-form, the macro simply does the
spellcheck which would otherwise be done.) I put this in a global template
(distributed to other users as well) rather than in each template. See
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step instructions
on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations including
AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros, etc. If you
only have a couple of forms where you would want spell-check to run, I would
simply put the modifications in the template for each form.

Hope this helps. I know it seems overwhelming at first but just follow the
steps outlined and you'll have opened up a whole new world of functionality
in Word for you.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...ProtectDoc.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
swerk swerk is offline

I just don't get it.
I have the macro pasted in from
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...ProtectDoc.htm and yet mine
does not work.
I feel like there is something that I'm assumed to know, but I don't know
what it is. Here are my steps:

I have saved the macro into the template. Then I protect it for forms and
close it, saving changes. I reopen it (as a new doc, not the dot) and the
spellcheck button is not lit up for use.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...ProtectDoc.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need to run the macro to execute the spell check. To be able to do
that, you will either need to assign the macro to the keyboard, or to a
button that you add to a toolbar, or to run on exit from one of the
formfields. The reason for that is that the Macro item on the Tools menu is
not enabled when a protected document is the active document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The macro is designed to unprotect the form, run spell check, and then
reprotect the form without clearing it. The form should be a template,
and
the macro should be stored in the template (which is presumably
unprotected
while you are designing it).

so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...ProtectDoc.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
swerk swerk is offline

Okay, I've run the macro, and removed one error (some red dashed line).
Thank you!

I'm really showing how new I am to macros, but now I'm not finding how to
assign the macro to the keyboard or to a button.
In my struggle with all this, I've seen that choice at the beginning of
"recording a macro", but now that the macro already exists how do I get there?

Perhaps the entry to this post from Charles Kenyon is my next answer? I'm
just reading through it now.