DeanH

Default Numbering Paragraphs

I am trying to have auto numbering for all paragraphs that appear between
headings. I have no problems with setting up the Headings numbering, that
works fine, but the problem starts when I have a paragrapgh between two
headings, it throws the following heading number of by one.

Example:
1. Title 1
1.1 Sub Title 1
(1) Paragraph
(2) Paragraph
1.2 Sub Title 2
(1) Paragraph

Inserting new text:
1. Title 1
(1) Paragraph
1.2 Sub Title 1 (Change in number!)
(1) Paragraph
(2) Paragraph
1.3 Sub Title 2 (Change in number!)

Am I using the wrong process with Outline Numbering? Is it to do with
Outline Levels?

I have looked in MVP but it does not seems to cover this problem.

Many thanks

CyberTaz

Hi Dean-

One way to handle it... double-click the ¶ at the end of 1. Title 1, then
hold Shift while you press Enter. That will replace the hard break with a
soft one so that the 'new' content below will be treated as a part of the
same para, thus no change in numbering.

Check back to see if other options might be offered.

HTH |:)

"DeanH" wrote:

[...]

DeanH

Sorry CyberTaz but this does not help.

I want the 'new'content to have Paragraph 1 style with its auto numbering
NOT Heading 1 style, which a soft return gives it.

There must be a way that word can handle this numbering structure, without
going into resetting numbers by a dreaded macro.

Thanks Dean

"DeanH" wrote:

[...]

CyberTaz

Sorry the idea wouldn't help. Didn't realize you were using Styles.

Unfortunately I'm no authority on customized outline numbering so I won't
blow any smoke at you. I am surprised that none of the MVPs have picked up
on this thread. There are several who could probably handle the issue.

If I have the opportunity I'll try to send someone this way.

Regards |:)

On 8/11/05 2:25 AM, in article
, "DeanH"