Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Soccerman58

Default Including Para Number in a manually-created TOC

Hi
I am following the help instructions to create my own table of contents. I
am using the structured headings panel to create the headings, but for
various reasons I only want level 1 and 2 in the TOC.

The instructions are OK and it is working, except that the heading level
number does not appear in the toc entry. Nor can it be swiped over and
included in the box that pops up for the text entry/level setting. I would
like

4. Blah Blah
4.1 Whoop de doo
4.2 Bling bling
5. Snoop Doggy Dogg

I suppose I could try typing it in manually, but if I add another section it
will not update automatically.
Thanks
Phil
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm not clear what you mean by a "manually created" TOC. If you're really
creating it manually (as opposed to using a TOC field), I don't see how it
could update automatically anyway. As for the numbering, however, you can
apply outline numbering to the styles you're using for the TOC.

"Soccerman58" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Aldis

Reading between the lines it sounds like you are trying to build the entries
with TC fields. Don't do that - build the TOC using your heading styles.

To do that, click Options in the Index and Tables TOC dialog, then check
Styles and uncheck Outline levels and Table entry fields. In the Available
Styles list, you need to have a 1 against your Heading 1 style (or whatever
you use for your first level numbered heading) and 2 against Heading 2, with
everything else cleared.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Soccerman58

Hi
Here are the instructions I am following from the Microseoft online help
page in Word. It looks close to Margaret's idea. but it seems her solution
would update automatically. I only want H1 and H2 in the toc; I have other
plans for H3:

Use the Mark Table of Contents box to insert TOC fields into your document.

Select the first portion of text that you want to include in your table of
contents.

Press ALT+SHIFT+O.

In the Level box, select the level and click Mark.

To mark additional entries, select the text, click in the Entry box, and
click Mark.

When you have finished adding entries, click Close.

Click where you want to insert the table of contents.

On the Insert menu, point to Reference, and click Index and Tables.

Click the Table of Contents tab.

Click the Options button.

In the Table of Contents Options box, select the Table entry fields check
box.

Clear the Styles and Outline levels check boxes.
I will probablyb have to add the appropriate number myself and manually
update the TOC this way. Not so hot.
Thanks
Phil

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dawn Crosier

Using Heading Styles can use the headings or styles you specify.

I think you will find these instructions more helpful than what you
have been using. They incorporate Margaret's and Suzanne's ideas for
how you should create your TOC. Once you get the hang of using
Heading Styles to create your TOC, you will never go back to TC codes.

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Aldis

As I guessed, these are the instructions for using "TC" fields, which mark
individual items for inclusion in the TOC. That's quite unnecessary work
here, and won't pick up your auto numbering.

What you should be doing is using Insert Reference Index and Tables and
using the Options to define the *rule* by which headings are included.

In the Help topic, instead of reading the section on "Create a table of
contents from entries you mark yourself" read the section called "Create a
table of contents from custom styles". (Actually, if you've used Heading 1
and Heading 2, you could probably just select to use 2 levels, but it's more
controlled to select the styles directly.)

--

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

[...]

How do i get rid of a page number on a Save As\ Text Only doc? Mike Whitehurst Microsoft Word Help 0 March 16th 05 01:18 PM
Page Number funnybroad Page Layout 4 March 3rd 05 07:58 AM
When insert page number is clicked, the number inserted at page 1. inbetween Page Layout 1 February 19th 05 07:07 AM
Maximum number of pages in a word document Travis75 Formatting Long Documents 5 January 27th 05 05:03 AM
A custom TOC Paul Terrano Formatting Long Documents 7 January 1st 05 08:44 PM