Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
David Beamish David Beamish is offline

Default Suppressing space before a heading at top of page

I am creating a long document with a heading at the start of each
chapter. The header shows the current chapter, so I have a "section
break (continuous)" before each chapter heading to provide for the
different header text. The heading style includes space before, which is
what I want when the heading appears mid-page, but I still get the space
when the heading happens to appear at the top of a page. Is there any
way of suppressing this, while retaining the header showing which is the
current chapter? (The relevance of the header is that I can suppress the
space by removing the section break, but then I lose the opportunity to
have a different header.)

I am using Microsoft Word 2002 (but could move to a newer version if
that helped!)

All advice gratefully received.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Unfortunately, no. It is a little odd to use a Continuous section break for
this purpose; ordinarily a Next Page break (at minimum) would be used. But
in any case you can suppress the Space Before after a hard page or column
break using the Compatibility Options settings, but not after a section
break.