Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Don Pellegrino Don Pellegrino is offline

Default Only the first line of the header is shown in Print Layout

I am using Microsoft Office Word 2007 on Windows Vista with the Print Layout
View and the Show White Space feature. I have a three lines of text in my
document's header. When I add the text all three lines are visible. They
stay visible as I scroll through the document and edit it. At some random
point during the editing session the header display is modified to show only
the first of the three lines. If I double click in the header I find the
other two lines are still there. If I exit the header they continue to
persist in the view until some random point during the editing again. This
is not desirable behavior. I would classify it as a bug. Is anyone else
experiencing this? Is there a known work-around or a way I can submit this
as a bug?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

According to MVP Terry Farrell, this can be fixed by updating the display
driver (or the printer driver) in Windows.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Don Pellegrino" wrote in message
I am using Microsoft Office Word 2007 on Windows Vista with the Print
Layout View and the Show White Space feature. I have a three lines of text
in my document's header. When I add the text all three lines are visible.
They stay visible as I scroll through the document and edit it. At some
random point during the editing session the header display is modified to
show only the first of the three lines. If I double click in the header I
find the other two lines are still there. If I exit the header they
continue to persist in the view until some random point during the editing
again. This is not desirable behavior. I would classify it as a bug. Is
anyone else experiencing this? Is there a known work-around or a way I can
submit this as a bug?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Don Pellegrino Don Pellegrino is offline

Thank you for the response. Windows Update reports that no new updates are
available for my computer. So, for practical purposes all of my drivers can
be considered to be at the latest version. I must therefore assume that the
behavior is actually due to a bug in the production version of at least one
of these drivers. My display driver is apparently handled by Windows
Update. From the update history I find:

"ATI Technologies Inc. - Video - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT"
Details show: "Video software update released in November, 2007."

I have tried setting my active printer in Word to various Canon and HP
printers and found all variations to exhibit the problem. So unless the
issue is caused by all of these drivers being faulty it must be the video
driver, of which I have only one and it is the latest version distributed
via Windows Update.

Is there a list of drivers know to cause this error in Word? Is there a way
to confirm that the ATI driver is causing the problem and report it to the
appropriate party?

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Don Pellegrino Don Pellegrino is offline

Thank you for the information but I am a bit confused. Why would Microsoft
distribute ATI drivers via Windows Update if I am not supposed to use them?
How do I prevent the system from accepting ATI drivers?

Interestingly another ATI update was just distributed via Windows Update
recently. The lastest update reads:
"ATI Technologies Inc. Video software update released in January, 2008."

I have not yet performed enough testing to verify if this update solves the
problem or not.