Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Sheely

Default How do I get equation editor onto my toolbar?

I have equation editor installed and am able to use it through the
insert/objects part of the menu. However, I can't seem to create an icon on
my toolbar for equation editor. Any tips? Thanks, Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Brown Tim Brown is offline

That works just fine, but you get that inconvenient dialog box and you run
into sizing issues and you have to drag the equation like an object to get it
placed properly in your document. It's not very user friendly.

If you drag the Equations Editor icon to your toolbar before ever opening
the Equations Editor, it will give you a much small dialog box that appears
in the body of your text. It is much more convenient. This will only work if
you drag the icon to your toolbar before ever opening the Equations Editor.
If you open it before doing this, it won't work. If you have already opened
the Equations Editor, you will have to reinstall Office to get it to work as
I described.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Open Tools | Customize. On the Commands tab, choose the Insert category and
scroll the Commands list to Equation Editor. Drag this to your toolbar.

"Mark Sheely" Mark wrote in message
I have equation editor installed and am able to use it through the
insert/objects part of the menu. However, I can't seem to create an icon

on
my toolbar for equation editor. Any tips? Thanks, Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have no idea what you're talking about. When you add the Equation Editor
button to your toolbar should not affect the way it works.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Open Tools | Customize. On the Commands tab, choose the Insert category
and
scroll the Commands list to Equation Editor. Drag this to your toolbar.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
so
all may benefit.

"Mark Sheely" Mark wrote in message
I have equation editor installed and am able to use it through the
insert/objects part of the menu. However, I can't seem to create an
icon

on
my toolbar for equation editor. Any tips? Thanks, Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Tim, I agree with Suzanne's responses to your post. I work for the
company that makes Equation Editor and licenses it to Microsoft.
Either there's an important part of what's happening that you're
leaving out in your post, or there's something you don't understand
about using Equation Editor (perhaps both).

Equation Editor is designed to use EITHER by clicking InsertObject OR
by dragging the icon to your toolbar. It operates exactly the same
either way you do it, so it doesn't matter which method you use.

I'm not sure what "sizing" issues you're talking about. To adjust the
size of an Equation Editor equation, with Equation Editor open, the
menus at the top of the Word window aren't Word menus anymore; they're
Equation Editor menus. Click on the one labeled "Size", and choose the
Define command. Set it for whatever size you want. It's bad practice
to re-size an equation by dragging the corner of an equation, so if
you're re-sizing them that way, I suggest doing it from the Size menu
instead.

Once you're finished creating your equation, do not cut (or copy) it
from Equation Editor and paste it into your Word document. You need to
exit Equation Editor, and the way you do that is to press the Esc key
if it's in "in-place editing" mode (identified by the equation looking
like it's in your sentence when you're editing it), or by clicking the
red X in the upper right corner if it's in "separate window" mode.
(Note that there's a red X to the upper right of the Equation Editor
toolbar too, so make sure you click the correct red X. Equation
Editor's red X is smaller than Word's red X. If you click the red X
and the Equation Editor toolbar goes away, but the hashed lines remain
around the equation, all you did was close the Equation Editor
toolbar. To get the toolbar back, either double-click an equation or
open Equation Editor again to create a new equation.)

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Brown[_2_] Tim Brown[_2_] is offline

Maybe I could describe it better, but all I know is that the Equations Editor
(in Office 2000) works differently if you drag the icon to the toolbar before
ever opening it. If you open Equations Editor (even once) before you drag the
icon to the tool bar, it just funtions a bit differently. If you uninstall
office and then reinstall it and then drag the icon to the toolbar before
opening the Equations Editor, you will see what I mean. Maybe it is specific
to Office 2000.

I have had this discussion with our tech dept and they agree that it does
work differently, but they have no idea why.

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
R Merriman Wylie High School R Merriman Wylie High School is offline

I think I'm having the same problem as Mark Sheely. I'm using Office 2007
and I would like to have Equation Editor on the Quick Access Toolbar. I can
find "Insert Object" under "Customize" and put it in the Tollbar, but Insert
Object doesn't expand to allow me to put just Equation Editor up there. I
still have to open Insert Object and scroll down to pick Equation Editor 3.0.

Also, at seemingly random times, an equation I've written in Eq. Editor sits
above the text in my Word 2007 document, and I have to manually format it to
go "In Front of Text" to get it in line with the text. It is infuriating and
time consuming!

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 15-Sep-2008, R Merriman wrote:

I think I'm having the same problem as Mark Sheely. I'm using
Office 2007 and I would like to have Equation Editor on the Quick
Access Toolbar. I can find "Insert Object" under "Customize" and
put it in the Tollbar, but Insert Object doesn't expand to allow me
to put just Equation Editor up there. I still have to open Insert
Object and scroll down to pick Equation Editor 3.0.

This requires recording (or writing) a macro. We have an article about
putting an EE icon on the QAT:
http://www.dessci.com/en/support/mat...tsn/tsn124.htm

Also, at seemingly random times, an equation I've written in Eq.
Editor sits above the text in my Word 2007 document, and I have
to manually format it to go "In Front of Text" to get it in line
with
the text. It is infuriating and time consuming!

I can imagine it is, but if it's truly random, I'm afraid I don't have
a solution for you. Perhaps someone else does. The place in Options
where you set paste options is in Advanced Cut, Copy, and Paste.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
S Hord S Hord is offline

I have Word 2003 at home and Word 2007 at the office. Until recently, I
created all documents at home so I could learn Word 2007 at an easier pace.
Inexplicably, the MT Extra font disappeared from my computer at home so my
Equation Editor won't work. No luck yet fixing that.

The Equation Editor that comes with Word 2007 doesn't seem to have a option
to change the font size so the equations and formulas in my documents (I
teach math) are practically illegible. Is there a way to enlarge the
Equation Editor objects in Word 2007?

bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
S Hord[_2_] S Hord[_2_] is offline

The Equation Editor icon has been on the toolbar of my Word 2003 so long I'm
not sure whether I used it before putting the icon there. What I have
noticed is that occasionally, the dialog box will revert to the larger one.
It seems totally random.

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 17-Oct-2008, S Hord wrote:

I have Word 2003 at home and Word 2007 at the office. Until
recently, I created all documents at home so I could learn
Word 2007 at an easier pace. Inexplicably, the MT Extra font
disappeared from my computer at home so my Equation Editor
won't work. No luck yet fixing that.

This won't help the "inexplicably" part, but one way to get MT Extra
back is to download the MathType fonts from our website. They're free,
and you don't need MathType to be able to use them. One of them is MT
Extra. You can download the fonts he
http://www.dessci.com/en/dl/fonts

The Equation Editor that comes with Word 2007 doesn't seem
to have a option to change the font size so the equations and
formulas in my documents (I teach math) are practically illegible.
Is there a way to enlarge the Equation Editor objects in Word 2007?

You may not know, but the same Equation Editor that was included with
previous versions of Word is also included in Word 2007. There are 2
equation editors -- the one you see on the Insert tab, and the one
affectionately known as Microsoft Equation. If you create equations at
the office with Word 2007 using the new equation editor, you won't be
able to edit the equations at home with Word 2003. If you use the old
Equation Editor, you can. To get to Microsoft Equation, on the Insert
tab, click Object. The Insert Object dialog looks the same as it did
in previous versions of Word. We have instructions on how to put an
"Insert Equation" button on the Quick Access Toolbar so you don't have
to click Insert Object every time:

bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barry B. Barry B. is offline

bobm at dessci.com

bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor

I followed your instructions for creating a button to activate the Equation
Editor with a macro button on the Quick Access Toolbar. Clicking on the
button does activate the Equation Editor but the Equation Editor toolbar does
not operate. In particular, I can't choose the font style and size. Is
there a way to make the Equation Editor toolbar work?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Barry, with the Equation Editor open, the Equation Editor menus
replace the Word menus (Ribbon in Word 2007). With Equation Editor
open, you should see File, Edit, View, Format, Style, Size, Window,
and Help menus in the place where Word's menus ought to be. These are
Equation Editor menus. Click Style Define to change the fonts, and
Size Define to change the sizes. Note that while you CAN change
LCGreek, UCGreek, and Symbol styles to be any style you want, setting
them to anything other than Symbol font will have unpredictable
results.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jmackey jmackey is offline

I am also having major problems with equation editor also. I've followed
the discussion and tried the links to find the old editor and bring it to the
toolbar, but under INSERT there is no Object listed anywhere, also the
equation tab on the symbols box is gr eyed out and doesn't work.
(tried to insert pic of toolbar here but didn't work!)
IT repaired my computer and unfortunately switched me to Office 2007 from
2003. I am finding 2007 extremely awkward to use, you have to drill down
through all sorts of menu boxes to get anything done, and when you go back to
a tab things have changed, why I do not know. I think I'll have to delete
2007 and go back to 2003. I had to do this about 6 months ago when I tried
2007 for the first time. I am very tired of having to use help every time I
want to do something. The equation editor problems are the last straw.
James Mackey

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Once you've burrowed all the way down to the thing you want to do, put
it on your Quick Access Toolbar. (Right-click its icon.) Put the QAT
below the Ribbon (Right-click on it)

(I don't know anything about Equation Editor, but you can put it on
the QAT too.)