Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MoiMeme MoiMeme is offline

Default How automatically create new docs with a given template ?

Hi,

I would like to systematically use a given template when I click on "new
document" button or select file-new document

How can I achieve that ? Now I always have a blank document or have to use
file-new-templates menu ( online / on the pc ...)

TIA !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

You could overwrite normal.dot with your template but I wouldn't recommend
doing that.

May I ask what is on this template that you want to appear each and every
time you open Word?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"MoiMeme" wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to systematically use a given template when I click on "new
document" button or select file-new document

How can I achieve that ? Now I always have a blank document or have to
use file-new-templates menu ( online / on the pc ...)

TIA !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

If you let me have your email address, I'll send you a copy of a FAQ that is
waiting to be published on the MVP FAQ site. It shows you how to put the old
File New dialog onto your Toolbar bereft of all the unwanted Microsoft
Templates so that one click gives you the dialog to select your template.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"MoiMeme" wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to systematically use a given template when I click on "new
document" button or select file-new document

How can I achieve that ? Now I always have a blank document or have to use
file-new-templates menu ( online / on the pc ...)

TIA !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes it does. Even with Word open, double clicking a shortcut to a template
will create a new file based on that template.

Pam

MoiMeme wrote:
Yes but that doesn't help when already in word

One easy way is to put a shortcut to the template on your desktop.

[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]

TIA !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phil Phil is offline

I use it to :

- insert logo of my "company" in the header plus current date
- insert in the same header a left-sided column with all administrative data
( names / adresses / phone & fax / emails etc, in a frame, on the first page
only.
- have the footer display name and path of document and Page x / y

I do not want to alter normal.dot because that would have effect on private
documents or other documents wihcih I want to start blank.

TIA

"MoiMeme" wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to systematically use a given template when I click on "new
document" button or select file-new document

How can I achieve that ? Now I always have a blank document or have to
use file-new-templates menu ( online / on the pc ...)

TIA !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

What you need is a document template. There is no real need for this to be
the Blank Document based on the Normal template (and there should remain
some mechanism of getting an actual blank document, such as pressing
Ctrl+N). There is a way to start Word with a document based on a specific
template other than Normal (a command line with the \t switch), and you
could write a macro to create a new document based on that document and
assign it to the New button, but ordinarily it will suffice to have the New
button open the New/Templates dialog with your document template displayed
(two clicks as opposed to one, but it does give you more choice for every
document).

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm for
more.

http://word.mvps.org