Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andy Andy is offline

Default Sections in Header

Hi There,
I am trying to get Word (2003) to automatically put the current heading
(section) into the header of whichever page it is that i am working. Sorry of
i'm not explaining this very well....

I an using the style guide and am using numbered headings e.g
6 Results
6.1 England
6.1.1 Manchester ..etc..etc

What i would like is for word to automatically workout which level 3 heading
is on any partitular page and put that heading in the top left of the page
(header). If there is no heading on any partitulat page i would like it to
find the last heading and use that (Because i am obviously still writing
under that heading). I do not what to put a section break after every
heading as some sections are very short and do not require additional pages.
I hope this makes sence.

In essence, i want word to look for the Heading from the style guide rather
than the 'Section' from a section break.

Can this be done?

Hope i have not confused you too much.

Many thanks in advance.
Andy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Investigate the StyleRef field. It is simply a case of inserting the
StyleRef referencing Heading Level 3 into the header and then each page will
pick up the nearest H3 on that page or preceding the page if there isn't one
on that page.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andy Andy is offline

Thanks very much Terry.
Unfortunatly i'm not that word literate. PLease could you elaborate? Where
do i find the StyleRef field? And how do i insert it?

Thanks very much in advance.

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andy Andy is offline

Wow! Thanks Suzanne, Thats maazing. And SO Easy!.

However, This raises another question that is not answered on the wed site
you pointed me to. I have selected StyleRef to pick up Heading 3. However,
if there is no Heading 3 on a particular page it will automatically pick the
Heading 3 from the next page. It would be more appropriate to pick Heading 2
from the current page. Is it possible to do some kind of IF function so that
if Heading 3 is not present use Heading 2, if not Heading 1 etc etc???

I hope that makes sence.

Many thanks.

Andy.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

FWIW, it should be picking up Heading 3 from the previous page. And yes,
solutions have been designed that will do what you want. Since I was not a
participant in the design of the solution, I can't give you details, but
Google turns up several relevant concepts. Here's one:

{ IF "{ StyleRef 1 }" = "" "{ Style Ref 2 }" "{ StyleRef 1}" }

Another link provides this syntax:

{ IF{ STYLEREF "MyStyle" } "Error!*" " { IF{ STYLEREF "MyStyle" } 0
"{ STYLEREF "MyStyle" }" }" }

and
{ IF{ STYLEREF "MyStyle" } "Error!*" "{ STYLEREF "MyStyle" }" }

I'm not convinced that either of these will work, however, if text in the
given style is actually present but just not on the same page. There's also
a description of a "breadcrumbs" approach at
http://www.wiredbox.net/Forum/Thread..._styleref.aspx.

http://word.mvps.org

header sections kacowey Page Layout 1 November 1st 08 02:00 PM
Removing Header and Footer Sections Gary[_4_] Page Layout 17 October 6th 08 03:39 PM
Header and footer sections Peg K Page Layout 7 May 6th 06 04:45 AM
Seperate Header between sections Bonnie43 Microsoft Word Help 4 February 28th 06 06:41 AM
Header - Sections - Update - Fields Francisco Microsoft Word Help 1 December 29th 04 03:50 PM