Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alexandra8011 Alexandra8011 is offline

Default Underline formatting not showing in Table of Contents

I created a table of contents using heading styles, and I understand that in
order for bold, italic, or underlining formatting to show up, I have to
directly format the text, which I did. However, the table of contents still
does not show the underlined words. It will show bold and italic and if I put
my cursor in the middle of the word that supposed to be underlined in the
TOC, the underline button is on, but no underline shows up, and no underline
shows in print preview, or when I print. Any ideas? Thanks! ~Alex
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This may be a side-effect of suppressing the blue and underline formatting
of the Hyperlink style. Do you have the same issue if you delete the \h
switch from the TOC field? This would result in entries not being
hyperlinked, but page numbers still will be.

http://word.mvps.org

"Alexandra8011" wrote in message
I created a table of contents using heading styles, and I understand that
in
order for bold, italic, or underlining formatting to show up, I have to
directly format the text, which I did. However, the table of contents
still
does not show the underlined words. It will show bold and italic and if I
put
my cursor in the middle of the word that supposed to be underlined in the
TOC, the underline button is on, but no underline shows up, and no
underline
shows in print preview, or when I print. Any ideas? Thanks! ~Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alexandra8011 Alexandra8011 is offline

After I wrote this, I still played around with the document, and I found that
if I unchecked the box "Use hyperlinks instead of page numbers" in the Index
and Tables, Table of Contents dialog box, the underlining would show up. I
think maybe the hyperlinking was conflicting with the underline formatting.
The table still lets me CTRL click to a certain paragraph, so I think this
will work for now.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The underscore, like bold and italic, is a toggle. Apply it once and it's on.
Apply it again and it's off. So the underscore in the hyperlink character
style is turning off the direct formatting underscore that you want. You can
modify the hyperlink style to remove the underscore (the color is enough of a
signal).

Pam

Alexandra8011 wrote:
After I wrote this, I still played around with the document, and I found that
if I unchecked the box "Use hyperlinks instead of page numbers" in the Index
and Tables, Table of Contents dialog box, the underlining would show up. I
think maybe the hyperlinking was conflicting with the underline formatting.
The table still lets me CTRL click to a certain paragraph, so I think this
will work for now.

This may be a side-effect of suppressing the blue and underline formatting
of the Hyperlink style. Do you have the same issue if you delete the \h

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
underline
shows in print preview, or when I print. Any ideas? Thanks! ~Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I doubt that this will help because the Hyperlink formatting is suppressed
in TOC fields. In fact, I've just tested it, and removing the underlining
from the Hyperlink style makes no difference. The only thing that works is
removing the \h switch.

http://word.mvps.org

Alexandra8011 wrote:
After I wrote this, I still played around with the document, and I found
that
if I unchecked the box "Use hyperlinks instead of page numbers" in the
and Tables, Table of Contents dialog box, the underlining would show up. I
think maybe the hyperlinking was conflicting with the underline
formatting.
The table still lets me CTRL click to a certain paragraph, so I think this
will work for now.

This may be a side-effect of suppressing the blue and underline
formatting
of the Hyperlink style. Do you have the same issue if you delete the \h

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
underline
shows in print preview, or when I print. Any ideas? Thanks! ~Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Oh gee, I could see in my mind's eye the ugly blue underscored TOCs that
bothered me so much that I modified the hyperlink style to get rid of it.
Now that you mention it, I haven't had to do that in quite a while. I wonder
how many versions I skipped back to?

Thanks,
Pam

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I doubt that this will help because the Hyperlink formatting is suppressed
in TOC fields. In fact, I've just tested it, and removing the underlining
from the Hyperlink style makes no difference. The only thing that works is
removing the \h switch.

The underscore, like bold and italic, is a toggle. Apply it once and it's
on.

[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]
underline
shows in print preview, or when I print. Any ideas? Thanks! ~Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My understanding is that you wouldn't ever see that formatting in any
version except in Web Layout view (where page numbers are also suppressed)
or if you manually hyperlinked the entries. But I confess I skipped from
Word 97 to Word 2002, so I can't be sure what happened in Word 2000, and I
generally omit the hyperlinking, anyway, as most of my documents are
destined for print.