Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lamb chop Lamb chop is offline

Default How to create Tables and Graph Captions lists

I am working on a large document about 200pages. It contains a lot of
graphs and tables.

I would like to create a list of tables which captures all the captions of
the tables.

Something like this:

Figure 2.2.1.1.5 A photo showing the Kelvin-Helmholtz instability [Taken
from An Album of Fluid Motion, assembled by Milton Van Dyke, The Parabolic
Press]

Figure 2.2.1.3.1 Mietz et al.¡¦s model on slag emulsification in steel
ladles [Taken from J.Mietz et al., Emulsification and mass transfer in ladle
metallurgy, Steel Research 62, 1991, No. 1, p11]

Figure 2.2.1.5.1 Reaction path of droplet generation and the energy
difference between Asai¡¦s model and Emi¡¦s suggestion

and a list of graph caption similar to this:

List of Tables

Table 2.2.1.4.1 Comparison of the entrainment velocities and critical
droplet radius from KH, Asai and Mietz theories

Table 2.2.4.1 Comparing the critical Weber from Asai¡¦s equation for high
temperature and aqueous systems.

Table 2.2.5.1 Summary of the reviewed droplet generation criteria

====

It was quite a headache to change the caption of the actual text and then
change the list of the content in the front.

At the moment I am doing this in manual but as the document getting bigger
and bigger, I have trouble to tracking it down.

I am using office2007 under vista.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Man

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You can use Insert | Caption to insert the captions and then use Insert |
Reference | Index and Tables: Table of Figures to create a list of figures
or tables (you choose the caption label).

http://word.mvps.org

"Lamb chop" wrote in message
I am working on a large document about 200pages. It contains a lot of
graphs and tables.

I would like to create a list of tables which captures all the captions of
the tables.

Something like this:

Figure 2.2.1.1.5 A photo showing the Kelvin-Helmholtz instability [Taken
from An Album of Fluid Motion, assembled by Milton Van Dyke, The Parabolic
Press]

Figure 2.2.1.3.1 Mietz et al.¡¦s model on slag emulsification in steel
ladles [Taken from J.Mietz et al., Emulsification and mass transfer in
ladle metallurgy, Steel Research 62, 1991, No. 1, p11]

Figure 2.2.1.5.1 Reaction path of droplet generation and the energy
difference between Asai¡¦s model and Emi¡¦s suggestion

and a list of graph caption similar to this:

List of Tables

Table 2.2.1.4.1 Comparison of the entrainment velocities and critical
droplet radius from KH, Asai and Mietz theories

Table 2.2.4.1 Comparing the critical Weber from Asai¡¦s equation for high
temperature and aqueous systems.

Table 2.2.5.1 Summary of the reviewed droplet generation criteria

====

It was quite a headache to change the caption of the actual text and then
change the list of the content in the front.

At the moment I am doing this in manual but as the document getting bigger
and bigger, I have trouble to tracking it down.

I am using office2007 under vista.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Man

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If your captions are already typed (& probably in static text) and are in the
Caption paragraph style, you can create a styles based TOF by first changing
the table captions to another style:
1. Create a new style called Caption-Table that is based on Caption. Then
do this search
Find what: Table
Format: Style:Caption

Replace with: ^&
Format: Style Caption-Table

€”This works in W2007 because Caption and Caption-Table are paragraph (not
linked) styles and applying one of them to a part of a paragraph changes the
whole paragraph to that style. €”

2. To create the TOF for figures,on the References tab, click Insert table
of figures Option. Put a check in the box in front of Style and from the
dropdown next to Style choose the Caption style.

3. To create the TOF for the tables, do the same but choose the style
Caption-Table.

Pam

Lamb chop wrote:
I am working on a large document about 200pages. It contains a lot of
graphs and tables.

I would like to create a list of tables which captures all the captions of
the tables.

Something like this:

Figure 2.2.1.1.5 A photo showing the Kelvin-Helmholtz instability [Taken
from An Album of Fluid Motion, assembled by Milton Van Dyke, The Parabolic
Press]

Figure 2.2.1.3.1 Mietz et al.s model on slag emulsification in steel
ladles [Taken from J.Mietz et al., Emulsification and mass transfer in ladle
metallurgy, Steel Research 62, 1991, No. 1, p11]

Figure 2.2.1.5.1 Reaction path of droplet generation and the energy
difference between Asais model and Emis suggestion

and a list of graph caption similar to this:

List of Tables