Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
tonyb61 tonyb61 is offline

Default Word 2007 1 char wide columns

I'm using Word 2007, and have a table with 4 columns. Two of the columns are
1.75cm wide, but they only allow me to type 1 character in a cell before
wrapping to the next line, so I get
|f |
|o |
|o |
in a cell no matter how small the characters. The cells are aligned top
left.

What formatting problem is going on here ?

Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Probably the paragraphs within those table cells have a right indent
that's large enough to make the text width zero or nearly so.

Select the columns. Click the little button in the bottom right corner
of the Paragraph group on the Home ribbon to open the Paragraph
dialog. Set the indents to 0cm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:01:39 -0000, "tonyb61"
wrote:

I'm using Word 2007, and have a table with 4 columns. Two of the columns are
1.75cm wide, but they only allow me to type 1 character in a cell before
wrapping to the next line, so I get
|f |
|o |
|o |
in a cell no matter how small the characters. The cells are aligned top
left.

What formatting problem is going on here ?

Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
tonyb61 tonyb61 is offline

Hi Jay,
The indents are 0cm already, and the cell is left aligned. That's why I'm
puzzled what to do....

Tony

wrote:

I'm using Word 2007, and have a table with 4 columns. Two of the columns
are
1.75cm wide, but they only allow me to type 1 character in a cell before
wrapping to the next line, so I get
|f |
|o |
|o |
in a cell no matter how small the characters. The cells are aligned top
left.

What formatting problem is going on here ?

Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Tony,

Another place to check is the cell margins (a.k.a. "padding"). Click
in one of the affected cells and go to Table Tools Layout
Properties, then click the Options button in the dialog. The default
values are 0 for top and bottom, and 0.19 cm left and right. Maybe the
right margin is set too large?

If you can't spot anything, and you don't mind sending me a copy of
the document, I'll take a look at it.

--
Jay

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:25:07 -0000, "tonyb61"
wrote:

Hi Jay,
The indents are 0cm already, and the cell is left aligned. That's why I'm
puzzled what to do....

Tony

.. .

wrote:

I'm using Word 2007, and have a table with 4 columns. Two of the columns
are
1.75cm wide, but they only allow me to type 1 character in a cell before
wrapping to the next line, so I get
|f |
|o |
|o |
in a cell no matter how small the characters. The cells are aligned top
left.

What formatting problem is going on here ?

Tony

NeedSomeHelp NeedSomeHelp is offline
Junior Member

I am having the same problem. Jay at one point in this thread you offered Tony to email you his document. I couldn't find any email address. I would like to send you my doc. This is not, however, a problem with columns in Tables. It's text columns - two - in a Word doc. It might be easier to de-tangle if you see the doc. Thanks......
-----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb61 View Post
I'm using Word 2007, and have a table with 4 columns. Two of the columns are
1.75cm wide, but they only allow me to type 1 character in a cell before
wrapping to the next line, so I get
|f |
|o |
|o |
in a cell no matter how small the characters. The cells are aligned top
left.

What formatting problem is going on here ?

Tony

handeiere handeiere is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeHelp View Post