joy

Default How to alphabetize a list

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to sort a list or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This is just one long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't want them in a
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there I get a long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone help? TIA.
garfield-n-odie

The Sort command happens to be under the Table menu, but your names
don't have to be in a table. Each name should be on a separate line
though. Select the list of names, and click on Table | Sort.

joy wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to sort a list or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This is just one long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't want them in a
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there I get a long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone help? TIA.

Joy

I answered this in the newsgroup. I tried that and still got the same black
line with the names having disappeared. BTW, each name was on a separate
line with its e-mail address indented under it; then a line space before the
next name.

joy wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to sort a list or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This is just one long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't want them in a
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there I get a long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone help? TIA.

garfield-n-odie

Scroll down a ways to see the names. When you sort a list containing
blank lines and non-blank lines, all of the blank lines will end up
together at the beginning of the document (sort order = nothing before
something).

joy wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to sort a list or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This is just one long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't want them in a
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there I get a long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone help? TIA.

joymp

OK, I took another look and I see where the names are under the long line.
Now I have another problem. I see that it mixed in the e-mail addresses
(which were indented) alphabetically. I was able to accomplish this in
WordPerfect and it only alphabetized the names, not the indented e-mail
addresses; it left them under each respective name. I'd like to have the
list in both Word & WordPerfect so I can share it with those who only have
Word.

joy wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to sort a list or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This is just one long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't want them in a
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there I get a long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone help? TIA.

Well, the reason I didn't go into that is that it probably won't be easy
unless you've by any chance got two paragraph breaks between entries. If you
have, then you can use Find and Replace to look for paragraph breaks (^p)
and replace with line breaks (^l). You then replace two line breaks together
(^l^l) with a paragraph break, and you're home and dry.

But if you have the whole list as a solid chunk--that is, line 1 is a name,
line 2 is an email address, line 3 is another name, line 4 another email
address, and so on, you'll have to do this semi-manually. You can insert a
line break manually by pressing Shift+Enter; if you select the paragraph
mark first (display nonprinting characters so you can see them), it will
replace it. But that would be very labor-intensive. Instead, use F&R to
replace ^p with ^l, but instead of using Replace All, just alternate Find
Next and Replace judiciously to replace only every other paragraph break.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That's probably because you have a paragraph break at the end of each

line.
If you change the break between the name and the email address to a line
break, then Word will sort the paragraphs correctly.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

joy wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to sort a

list
or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This is

just
one long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't want

them
in a
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there I get

long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone help?

TIA.

.

Suzanne,

I tried what you said, and it worked! THANK YOU! I no longer have a
double line space between each name/e-mail address and the next, though; they
are all together. Is there any way to restore the double line space using
the same technique?

Joy

joy wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to sort a

list
or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This is

just
one long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't want

them
in a
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there I get

long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone help?

TIA.

The easiest way is to Ctrl+A, Ctrl+0 (zero). This adds 12 pts Space Before
each item. If you'd rather have Space After, you have to visit the Format |
Paragraph dialog to do that. You do *not* want to use an empty paragraph or
line for this purpose.

joy wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to

sort a
list
or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This

is
just
one long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't

want
them
in a
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there

I get
long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone

help?
TIA.

.

Suzanne,

If I'm understanding what you are saying, there would be a double space
between each line. The lines are now arranged with the name on one line,
then the e-mail address on the next line (indented slightly), then
(immediately) on the next line another name, followed by (indented) e-mail
address on the next line. The way it WAS, had a double line/space after the
e-mail address before showing the next name. Hope I'm explaining this right.
It's easier to read the list if there could, once again, be that double
line/space.

Joy

joy wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to

sort a
list
or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This

is
just
one long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't

want
them
in a
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there

I get
long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone

help?
TIA.

Have you tried what I suggested? Press Ctrl+A, Ctrl+0 and see if that
doesn't give you the result you want.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That's probably because you have a paragraph break at the end

of
each
line.
If you change the break between the name and the email address

a line
break, then Word will sort the paragraphs correctly.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

joy wrote:

[...]

Glad I could help.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Scroll down a ways to see the names. When you sort a

list
containing
blank lines and non-blank lines, all of the blank

lines
will
end up
together at the beginning of the document (sort order

=
nothing
before
something).

joy wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BruceM BruceM is offline

In Word 2000 you would select the text you want sorted, then click Table
Sort, and choose to sort by paragraph. It is in my view absurd to sort
something that isn't in a table by clicking the Table menu, but there it is.
I don't know if they improved on the reasoning in Word 2003.

"Karen" wrote in message

"joy" wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to sort a list or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This is just one
long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't want them in a
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there I get a long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone help? TIA.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Perhaps it will ease the pain to consider that the overwhelming majority of
the sorting done in a word processing program involves content in a Table or
a Tabular List. Not only does it not seem absurd to have it there, but also
quite logical

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Karen" wrote in message

"joy" wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to sort a list or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This is just one
long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't want them in
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there I get a long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone help? TIA.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BruceM BruceM is offline

We click the Start button to stop the computer, so I suppose we can get used
to anything, but that doesn't make it logical. Logical would be to put
sorting on the Tools menu, in my view. That being said, Help does explain
that sorting is a situation in which the Table menu is used in the absence
of a table (although it doesn't put it like that).
Lots of things are hidden in rather obscure places. For instance, to make
choices about default formatting of ordinal suffixes (such as in 1st, 2nd,
etc.) you click Insert AutoText.
By the way, I am not a Word basher at all. Word has some wonderful
features. My biggest complaint is that the interface, features, and
automation can get in the way.

"Karen" wrote in message

"joy" wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to sort a list
or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This is just one
long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't want them in
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there I get a
long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone help? TIA.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although the Sort command is on the Table menu, you don't have to have text
in a table to sort it. You do have to have each item in its own paragraph.
Then select the text to be sorted and click on the Table | Sort command.

"noodnicki" wrote in message

"joy" wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to sort a list or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This is just one

long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't want them in

table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there I get a long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone help? TIA.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Assuming that each item is in a separate paragraph, you can select the whole
list and click Sort on the Table menu. Make sure to sort on paragraphs.

In Word 2007, you'll find the Sort command in the Paragraphs group of the
Home ribbon tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP