Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
proofreader proofreader is offline

Default Vertical line - name and how-to re-create

RE the vertical line that's used as a slash all over pages--just look at the
top of the Office Online page; it appears between Office Home and Office
Worldwide--(1) what is it called (2) how do you create it?
Many, many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
proofreader proofreader is offline

Thank you Suzanne! On my keyboard it actually appears as 2 vertical dashes.
(I had hoped you would answer because I know you use that character. And now
I know what it's called!).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are talking about the pipe (|) character, it's usually above the
backslash (\) on a keyboard. The exact location will depend on the keyboard.

"proofreader" wrote in message
RE the vertical line that's used as a slash all over pages--just look at

the
top of the Office Online page; it appears between Office Home and Office
Worldwide--(1) what is it called (2) how do you create it?
Many, many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Now that you mention it, that's how it looks on my (Dell) keyboard as well.
I imagine it prints that way in some fonts.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are talking about the pipe (|) character, it's usually above the
backslash (\) on a keyboard. The exact location will depend on the

keyboard.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"proofreader" wrote in message
RE the vertical line that's used as a slash all over pages--just look

at
the
top of the Office Online page; it appears between Office Home and

Office
Worldwide--(1) what is it called (2) how do you create it?
Many, many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

This conversation interested me because I always thought that character had
a different "typographic" name, and I was surprised you called it the
computer-ese "pipe".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_character

I particularly chuckled at its use in Khoisan orthography. g

I distinctly remember the old green-screen monitors showing the two vertical
bars and needing ASCII 179 to get a true vertical bar. When did these two
characters get mixed/subsumed/whatever?

Dan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Now that you mention it, that's how it looks on my (Dell) keyboard as
well.
I imagine it prints that way in some fonts.

so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are talking about the pipe (|) character, it's usually above the
backslash (\) on a keyboard. The exact location will depend on the

keyboard.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"proofreader" wrote in message
RE the vertical line that's used as a slash all over pages--just look

at
the
top of the Office Online page; it appears between Office Home and

Office
Worldwide--(1) what is it called (2) how do you create it?
Many, many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Pipe" is the only name I'd heard for it in Word/computer circles, and I was
glad to have any name at all. Obviously, this was a character that did not
appear on typewriter keyboards (any more than the backslash), so I was not
familiar with it from my many decades as a typist. The referenced Wikipedia
article doesn't seem to offer anything more esoteric ("vertical bar,"
"vertical line," etc.--anybody could have thought of those).

"Dan Freeman" wrote in message
This conversation interested me because I always thought that character

had
a different "typographic" name, and I was surprised you called it the
computer-ese "pipe".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_character

I particularly chuckled at its use in Khoisan orthography. g

I distinctly remember the old green-screen monitors showing the two

vertical
bars and needing ASCII 179 to get a true vertical bar. When did these two
characters get mixed/subsumed/whatever?

Dan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Now that you mention it, that's how it looks on my (Dell) keyboard as
well.
I imagine it prints that way in some fonts.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are talking about the pipe (|) character, it's usually above

the
backslash (\) on a keyboard. The exact location will depend on the

keyboard.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"proofreader" wrote in