Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marty Marty is offline

Default Missing fonts on new equipment?

I did a search here on this problem, and my new HP printer is set as the
default printer. I also have a new HP windows 7 machine and a new copy of
office 2007 just installed.

But now I'm missing several of my favorite faunts that came with the old
office 2007 software I was using. I was noticing some fonts disappearing even
from the old software and machine I had, but I assumed all new equipment
would solve this problem? I needed to upgrade my equipment as it was several
years old and starting to give me problems.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Fonts are installed not just by Windows, Office, and your printer but also
by practically every other application you install. If you're missing
favorite fonts, then you can check
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/ to see whether they really came
with a specific Microsoft product. If so, you may need to run an "Add
Components" install to add fonts that are not installed by default. If not,
consider what other applications you may have had installed on a previous
system that may have contributed fonts. If you still have the old system,
you can copy fonts from the Fonts folder to a flash drive and install them
on the new machine.

http://word.mvps.org

"marty" wrote in message
news
I did a search here on this problem, and my new HP printer is set as the
default printer. I also have a new HP windows 7 machine and a new copy of
office 2007 just installed.

But now I'm missing several of my favorite faunts that came with the old
office 2007 software I was using. I was noticing some fonts disappearing
even
from the old software and machine I had, but I assumed all new equipment
would solve this problem? I needed to upgrade my equipment as it was
several
years old and starting to give me problems.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marty Marty is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Fonts are installed not just by Windows, Office, and your printer but also
by practically every other application you install. If you're missing
favorite fonts, then you can check
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/ to see whether they really came
with a specific Microsoft product. If so, you may need to run an "Add
Components" install to add fonts that are not installed by default. If not,
consider what other applications you may have had installed on a previous
system that may have contributed fonts. If you still have the old system,
you can copy fonts from the Fonts folder to a flash drive and install them
on the new machine.

http://word.mvps.org

"marty" wrote in message
news
I did a search here on this problem, and my new HP printer is set as the
default printer. I also have a new HP windows 7 machine and a new copy of
office 2007 just installed.

But now I'm missing several of my favorite faunts that came with the old
office 2007 software I was using. I was noticing some fonts disappearing
even
from the old software and machine I had, but I assumed all new equipment
would solve this problem? I needed to upgrade my equipment as it was
several
years old and starting to give me problems.

.
Just to make sure I'm clear, your saying that other programs can add or delete fonts from the word font list?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:29:01 -0800, marty
wrote:
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Fonts are installed not just by Windows, Office, and your printer but also
by practically every other application you install. If you're missing
favorite fonts, then you can check
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/ to see whether they really came
with a specific Microsoft product. If so, you may need to run an "Add
Components" install to add fonts that are not installed by default. If not,
consider what other applications you may have had installed on a previous
system that may have contributed fonts. If you still have the old system,
you can copy fonts from the Fonts folder to a flash drive and install them
on the new machine.

http://word.mvps.org

"marty" wrote in message
news
I did a search here on this problem, and my new HP printer is set as the
default printer. I also have a new HP windows 7 machine and a new copy of
office 2007 just installed.

But now I'm missing several of my favorite faunts that came with the old
office 2007 software I was using. I was noticing some fonts disappearing
even
from the old software and machine I had, but I assumed all new equipment
would solve this problem? I needed to upgrade my equipment as it was
several
years old and starting to give me problems.

Just to make sure I'm clear, your saying that other programs can add or delete fonts from the word font list?

To be more exact, fonts are installed in *Windows*, not specifically
in *Word*. There is a folder at C:\Windows\Fonts that contains all the
fonts installed by all programs (Windows, Office, and any other
program, or any you download or install individually). All of those
fonts (with a few exceptions) will appear in Word's list.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Nov 29, 7:29*pm, marty wrote:
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Fonts are installed not just by Windows, Office, and your printer but also
by practically every other application you install. If you're missing
favorite fonts, then you can check
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/to see whether they really came
with a specific Microsoft product. If so, you may need to run an "Add
Components" install to add fonts that are not installed by default. If not,
consider what other applications you may have had installed on a previous
system that may have contributed fonts. If you still have the old system,
you can copy fonts from the Fonts folder to a flash drive and install them
on the new machine.

http://word.mvps.org

"marty" wrote in message
news
I did a search here on this problem, and my new HP printer is set as the
default printer. I also have a new HP windows 7 machine and a new copy of
office 2007 just installed.

But now I'm missing several of my favorite faunts that came with the old
office 2007 software I was using. I was noticing some fonts disappearing
even
from the old software and machine I had, but I assumed all new equipment
would solve this problem? I needed to upgrade my equipment as it was
several
years old and starting to give me *problems.

.
Just to make sure I'm clear, your saying that other programs can add or delete fonts from the word font list?-

No, she's saying that Word (Office) and Windows are not the only
sources of fonts. (For instance, the music-writing program Finale
comes with a bunch of fonts of notes and staffs and clefs and all the
other stuff you need to write music, and they're all available in
Word, too.)

There isn't any "Word font list"; Word lists all the fonts that are in
your Windows fonts folder.