Clayton Rhodes Clayton Rhodes is offline
Junior Member

Default Microsoft Word Compatibility

This may be a dumb question for this forum. I am about to buy a new computer. I will probably be using Microsoft Word 2007 since that appears to be the only version compatible with Windows Vista. I have been told that I will not be able to open any Word files that I have saved in my older version of Word which is Word 2002. I have a lot of important documents such as a couple of family histories in progress. Is there some way I can salvage all of my old work in 2002 when I upgrade to a later version?

Thanks

Clayton Rhodes Clayton Rhodes is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Rhodes View Post
This may be a dumb question for this forum. I am about to buy a new computer. I will probably be using Microsoft Word 2007 since that appears to be the only version compatible with Windows Vista. I have been told that I will not be able to open any Word files that I have saved in my older version of Word which is Word 2002. I have a lot of important documents such as a couple of family histories in progress. Is there some way I can salvage all of my old work in 2002 when I upgrade to a later version?

Thanks
Thank You Suzanne. I am using Quicken 2004 and Quattro Pro 2002 (preloaded with Microsoft XP) on my computer. Will I be able to use these versions of these applications if I buy a new computer that has Windows Vista preloaded? All of the technicians at Best Buy and Circuit City have told me that Word 2002 will not work with Windows Vista. Please advise.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Thank You Suzanne. I am using Quicken 2004 and Quattro Pro 2002
(preloaded with Microsoft XP) on my computer. Will I be able to use
these versions of these applications if I buy a new computer that has
Windows Vista preloaded? All of the technicians at Best Buy and
Circuit City have told me that Word 2002 will not work with Windows
Vista. Please advise.

Word 2002 (and earlier versions) will work on Windows Vista as should
Quicken 2004 and Quattro Pro, HOWEVER, if these are OEM versions supplied
with a PC (as opposed to retail versions supplied on disc) they *MAY* not
install on a PC other than the one they were supplied with.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 11:37:07 +0200, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

Thank You Suzanne. I am using Quicken 2004 and Quattro Pro 2002
(preloaded with Microsoft XP) on my computer. Will I be able to use
these versions of these applications if I buy a new computer that has
Windows Vista preloaded? All of the technicians at Best Buy and
Circuit City have told me that Word 2002 will not work with Windows
Vista. Please advise.

Word 2002 (and earlier versions) will work on Windows Vista as should
Quicken 2004 and Quattro Pro, HOWEVER, if these are OEM versions supplied
with a PC (as opposed to retail versions supplied on disc) they *MAY* not
install on a PC other than the one they were supplied with.

Just a comment on advice from "technicians" in places that would profit from
selling you software you don't need: I don't know whether they really believe
what they're telling you, or whether it's deliberate "misinformation"... but
it's wrong.

As far as compatibility of Quicken and Quattro Pro is concerned, this MS Word
newsgroup isn't necessarily the best place to ask, either. Both Intuit and Corel
have their own user forums, where you'll get specific advice about those
versions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To go further than Graham: even if you succeed in installing the OEM
software on a different system, they will be illegally installed since they
are licensed only for the system on which they were preloaded.