Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nymphsfield Nymphsfield is offline

Default SQL Error on Word 2002 Startup

Whenever I start up word (in fact only since the latest updates) I receive
the following error:
"Opening this document will runn the following SQL command:"
Then there is a blank line, then...
"Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you wish to
proceed? Yes/No"
Regardless of whether I click yes or no, everything loads and words well.

Any clues as to why this is happend and how I can fix it??
Cheers,
Ann
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I had this same problem. In my case, it was caused (apparently) by the
TaskPaneController add-in, which I removed without ill effect, as it's no
longer needed in Word 2003. If you have that add-in for Word 2002, you may
still be able to remove it without problems (I'm told it's already modified
the required Registry entry, and after it's done that, it can be dispensed
with.

If you don't have that particular add-in, the problem may be caused by some
other add-in; apparently the latest update resulted in some change that
conflicts with add-ins that load at startup.

If you can't identify the troublesome add-in, or if it's not practical to
remove the add-in, you can suppress the message altogether with a Registry
edit (see "Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You
Open a Word Document at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=825765), but if
you prefer not to make this change (which MS does not recommend), you'll
probably just have to suck it up and live with the message until next month
when perhaps MS will push a hotfix for it.

"Nymphsfield" wrote in message
Whenever I start up word (in fact only since the latest updates) I receive
the following error:
"Opening this document will runn the following SQL command:"
Then there is a blank line, then...
"Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you wish to
proceed? Yes/No"
Regardless of whether I click yes or no, everything loads and words well.

Any clues as to why this is happend and how I can fix it??
Cheers,
Ann

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nymphsfield Nymphsfield is offline

Thanks Suzanne. I have removed the Task Pane Controller add-in from the Word
Start Up folder and can confirm that both the Warning Message no longer
appears (yippee) and the Task Pane loads at start up, which suggests that the
advise you received was right--that the registry entry must be modified. So
the problem is all fixed. Thanks again. Although it is a minor problem, it
can become such a nuisance when unwanted warnings occur time after time.
Regards, Ann

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas M. Thomas M. is offline

I had the same problem, and I identified the same solution. In my case,
after I removed the TaskPaneController add-in I still got the message. I
had to also remove the TaskPaneController.dot from the Word Startup folder.
There was also a temporary file in the Word Startup folder (even though Word
was closed at the time) that I deleted.

--Tom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas M. Thomas M. is offline

Update:

I just found that even after removing the add-in and deleting the file, I
was still getting the message when opening documents stored on a SharePoint
site. I checked the list of add-ins again, just to make sure that the
TaskPaneController had not come back, and the list was blank. Opening a
document from a SharePoint site and then saving that document back to the
site seems to have fixed the problem.

--Tom

"Thomas M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I "removed the add-in" by moving the .dot file out of the Startup folder. If
there is a way to uninstall it, I overlooked that (and didn't necessarily
want to do that, anyway).

"Thomas M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas M. Thomas M. is offline

I first went to Tools Templates and Add-ins and removed it from the
"Global templates and add-ins" list. I thought that doing this would
prevent the add-in from getting loaded, but when I restarted Word I got the
same message. That's when I realized that it must be in the startup folder
for Word, so I went moved the file out of that folder.

"Thomas M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, unchecking it in Tools | Templates and Add-ins just unloads it for the
current session. As long as the template is present in the Startup folder,
it will be loaded again the next time you start Word. You can load and
unload a template from any folder, and any template you've ever loaded
remains in the list, making it easy to reload (this can be a very powerful
concept if you suddenly develop a need for it). Only the templates in the
Startup folder load automatically.