Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bruce

Default (Asian) MS Mincho

Often times when I copy and paste text from .pdf files, Word automatically
adds this (Asian) MS Mincho formatting to the text. How can I get rid of it?
I have tried to change the style, but no matter which style I pick, the
(Asian) MS Mincho does not go away. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke

"Bruce" wrote:
Often times when I copy and paste text from .pdf files, Word automatically
adds this (Asian) MS Mincho formatting to the text. How can I get rid of
it?
I have tried to change the style, but no matter which style I pick, the
(Asian) MS Mincho does not go away. Thanks.

Hi Bruce,

Word will use the large Unicode fonts such as MS Mincho for all symbols that
don't exist in the font you are using.
Which one it actually uses seems to depend on chance a lot... I often get
four or more Asian fonts in my documents (which have lots of symbols and
foreign scripts).
So the first thing to do is check if the symbols are available in the font
you use, or settle on a different font for these special symbols (say Arial
Unicode MS if you want to match Arial, or Lucida Sans Unicode if you like to
use a smaller font than the 23 MByte Arial Unicode).

Unfortunately that isn't the whole story. Often Word won't let you change
the font, even if that should be possible.
One thing to check in these cases is the applied language (Tools Language
Set language).

Word uses different fonts for different scripts (Western, Asian, Right to
Left languages like Hebrew or Arabic). If the language isn't set to English,
Word may decide on another font than you want. Say if the "Latin/Western"
font in you style is Arial, but the font for Left-To-Right languages is
Times New Roman, Word may decide some text is Arabic, and apply TNR to those
characters.

Even after checking and fixing all these things, you may still run into
trouble. I've often been driven half crazy by Word suddenly changing the
font or the applied language again on its own, say during a copy/paste or
find/replace. It's a terrible nuisance, and I haven't got my head around
what exactly happens when, and how to avoid or undo the damage.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'll second Klaus's frustration. For some reason Word insists on using MS
Mincho for a number of characters that absolutely exist in the font I'm
using (in particular the prime and double prime characters I use for foot
and inch marks). Although the characters are correct when inserted, if
copied and pasted, or if the document is subjected to any kind of AutoFormat
(or even Ctrl+Q or Ctrl+Spacebar), they will be converted to MS Mincho. I
could live with this if it were not the case that in that font they are
followed by a large space.