Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
dry martini dry martini is offline

Default dissertation doldrums

Dear All

It's dissertation submission time and I am having a headache trying to
calculate the word count in word. Does anyone know of a way to exclude
tables from the word count? I have resorted to cutting and pasting the
tables out of the document and then doing the count before importing
them back. Dull but effective.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

That's _almost_ the most efficient way. A better method is to use File
Save As to make a copy of the document, keeping the original intact. In the
copy, delete all the tables and do the word count. Then you don't have to
put them back.

If you're willing to use a macro in the copy (*not* in the original!), this
is a one-click solution:

Sub WordCountWithoutTables()
Dim oTbl As Table
For Each oTbl In ActiveDocument.Tables
oTbl.Delete
Next
Dialogs(wdDialogToolsWordCount).Show
End Sub

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if needed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

dry martini wrote:
Dear All

It's dissertation submission time and I am having a headache trying to
calculate the word count in word. Does anyone know of a way to exclude
tables from the word count? I have resorted to cutting and pasting the
tables out of the document and then doing the count before importing
them back. Dull but effective.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
dry martini dry martini is offline

Jay

Thanks for getting back to me with a solution. I'll give the macro a
try and see what happens. It is a shame that there are no selection
options within the wordcount to request which parts are
included/excluded. I really will have earnt my dry martini by the end
of this one!

All the best

DM