Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Brian Beck Brian Beck is offline

Default Hidden merge fields not showing up

I'm generating correspondence in Word 2003 using a template that grabs data
from an Access database. The letter will be addressed to a superintendent,
but a copy of the letter will also be sent to a district coordinator. It is
easy enough to print an envelope for the superintendent, but sometimes the
district coordinator has a different address then the superintendent, so I
was wanting to also have the district coordinator's address show up in the
letter, only I would make that text hidden and thus it would never print out
in the letter...however, when viewing the letter in Word, I could easily
highlight the district coordinator's address and print an envelope for them.

The problem I'm having is that when I make the merge fields hidden in the
template, the first set of the fields simply don't show up in the created
letter. The template looks like this (they are in a table with 2 columns and
1 row):

«DistrictName»

«SuperintendentAddress»

District Testing Coordinator

«DistrictName»

«DTCAddress»

Everything in the right column is marked as hidden, but when I perform the
merge, this section:

Testing Coordinator

never shows up in the letter...it simply starts out by printing the
DistrictName and proceeds from there.

When I remove the hidden property in the template, everything shows up just
fine in the letter.

Any ideas on how to make this stuff show up in the letter?

-Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I wouldn't even try to do it this way. Create a separate merge for the
district coordinator envelopes using a SKIPIF field at the start of the
merge document to SKIP if the addresses are the same, if that is what you
require.

Brian Beck wrote:
[...]

«SuperintendentTitle»
«DistrictName»

«SuperintendentAddress»

District Testing Coordinator

«DistrictName»

«DTCAddress»

Everything in the right column is marked as hidden, but when I
perform the merge, this section:

District Testing Coordinator

never shows up in the letter...it simply starts out by printing the
DistrictName and proceeds from there.

When I remove the hidden property in the template, everything shows
up just fine in the letter.

Any ideas on how to make this stuff show up in the letter?

-Brian

Outlook Fields not showing up in Mail Merge Jason Dove Mailmerge 1 May 24th 07 07:07 PM
Merge fields not showing data in word footer Banks Mailmerge 2 May 31st 06 11:50 AM
Hidden Fields Matty Mailmerge 2 October 14th 05 11:10 AM
Word XE fields should be toggled fields, not Hidden Text. Monty Page Layout 1 September 16th 05 09:54 PM
mail merge not showing fields from outlook contacts Drew Mailmerge 2 January 27th 05 05:57 AM