Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
got4boyz got4boyz is offline

Default Why can't I insert an equation into my table?

I am using MS Word 2007 Edition. I want to insert an equation into my table
but the Equation button is greyed out so I'm not able to.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Are you working in Compatibility Mode? Take a look at the title bar to see
if this is the case. If so then the new Equation Editor is disabled in
Compatibility Mode. You'll need to either convert the document to the new
file format or use the old Equation Editor found on the Insert tab and by
clicking Object in the Text group.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"got4boyz" wrote in message
I am using MS Word 2007 Edition. I want to insert an equation into my
table
but the Equation button is greyed out so I'm not able to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
got4boyz got4boyz is offline

Yes, I was in compatibility mode so I tried to use the old Equation Editor
but couldn't figure out what I needed to do. So I converted it to the new
file format and still couldn't figure it out.

I am trying to add a column of numbers in a table. It was easy in the 2003
version of MS Word.

Thanks, Beth
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You don't need to use an equation to create a formula in a table. The
Equation editors are for writing equations, such as (x+a)^n but in an
equation format. For example the "n" in my crude example would convert to
superscript if I were using the new Equation editor.

That being the case, what you want is a Table Formula. Place your insertion
point in the cell for the formula, on the contextual Table Tools, on the
Layout tab, click Formula (at the end). Then create your formula, which
depends on the calculation you are trying to use. For example if you want to
add two cells together, it would be something like =A1+A2.