Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
gwaller gwaller is offline

Default How create drop down w/addresses in template

I want to add a drop down list in a template with names of people and, when
chosen, the name and address will appear. Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You might try using an AutoTextList field; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm

"gwaller" wrote in message
I want to add a drop down list in a template with names of people and, when
chosen, the name and address will appear. Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
gwaller gwaller is offline

Thank you but that does not appear to be what I need. To be more specific, I
would like to have a drop down with Dr. Xyz's name, for example, in the
address section of a letter; when Dr. Xyz's name is chosen, the adressee area
is populated with the name, address, city, state and zip in a letter type
format.

"gwaller" wrote in message
I want to add a drop down list in a template with names of people and, when
chosen, the name and address will appear. Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This will do what you want. You save Dr. Xyz's name and address as an
AutoText entry in the Inside Address style. The name of the entry is Dr.
Xyz's name. You do the same for other prospective recipients. The
AutoTextList field will display the list of names; you select one, and the
name and address are inserted.

This assumes that you have a limited number of recipients. If you want to be
able to include new recipients, perhaps you're looking for Insert | Address,
which allows you to add addresses from your Outlook Contacts.

"gwaller" wrote in message
I want to add a drop down list in a template with names of people and,
when
chosen, the name and address will appear. Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

AutoText has become part of the QuickParts gallery in Word 2007. Entries are
a bit more difficult to create and use, but I've been assured that the
AutoTextList field will still work in that version. Once you've got Word set
to save your AutoText entries to the correct template (which in previous
versions is done by selecting the template in Insert | AutoText | AutoText),
then Alt+F3 will still work to create the AutoText entries.

"gwaller" wrote in message
I want to add a drop down list in a template with names of people
and,
when
chosen, the name and address will appear. Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You can either use the AutoTextList field or you can use the new Building
Block Gallery content control which is a bit easier to use and it isn't
style related. Here's a link to an article on how to create Building Blocks
in Word 2007: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...341311033.aspx

In order to use the BB content control, add your entries to a specific
gallery and category. Then on the Developer tab, in the Controls group, add
a BB content control to your document. Click the Properties button and
you'll see how to associate the Gallery and Category at the bottom. After
you associate the Gallery and Category, click the arrow at the top of
content control to make your selection and populate the data.

If you do not see the Developer tab, click the Office Button, click Word
Options, in the Popular section select "Show Developer tab in the Ribbon".

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word