Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EllyEm EllyEm is offline

Default change default column spacing from 5 to 2

Is there any way I can permanently reduce the spacing between columns? I
usually use 4 columns and this is a tedious and presumably needless task if I
can change the default setting.
--
EllyEm,
thank you for your suggestions!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Elly

EllyEm wrote:
Is there any way I can permanently reduce the spacing between columns? I
usually use 4 columns and this is a tedious and presumably needless task if I
can change the default setting.

Not in the conventional sense, I think.

One could surely create a macro that formats the selected piece of text
in 4 columns with the desired spacing. Or you could create one
boilerplate (or empty) 4-column section and save the two section breaks
in front and aft as an AutoText.

Both approaches will work better the more you understand about Word's
sections and its properties, see for instance:

Working with Sections (by Dave Rado)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can create a template with the desired settings: In a document,
set the options that you want, and then File | Save As "Document
Template (*.dot)." Create new documents using File | New.

For more, start at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...platePart1.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"EllyEm" wrote in message
Is there any way I can permanently reduce the spacing between

columns? I
usually use 4 columns and this is a tedious and presumably needless

task if I
can change the default setting.
--
EllyEm,
thank you for your suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EllyEm EllyEm is offline

Hi, Robert. Ok, if there is no option to change the default setting, I can
create a macro. I'll read through the site you gave, too. Thanks a bunch
--
EllyEm,
thank you for your suggestions!

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Elly

EllyEm wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EllyEm EllyEm is offline

Stefan, thank you. I should have been more clear in my question. My basic
format is one column, but frequently, as when inserting IMs, I have found
that 4 columns take fewer pages, so for that portion of my document only, I
need columns with little space between. I think a macro might be my best bet.
--

"EllyEm" wrote in message
Is there any way I can permanently reduce the spacing between

columns? I
usually use 4 columns and this is a tedious and presumably needless

task if I
can change the default setting.
--
EllyEm,
thank you for your suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I think you are right; a macro would be more convenient in this case.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP