Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jack Sadie

Default "whole page" view.

When Word opens or if I select Whole Page view, I get a view which just
shows the text area.
If I then select View/header and footer the layout changes.
If I then close the "header and footer" the layout changes to precisely the
view I want as the default.

This is as I used to have it in Word 97 but I cannot seem to configure the
template "Normal.dot" so that it opens thus.
Even if I Open Normal.dot and change the layout as described and save it,
when I open Word again it has reverted to showing just the text area. What
am I doing wrongly?

--
Regards, Jack Sadie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman

Jack Sadie wrote:
When Word opens or if I select Whole Page view, I get a view which
just shows the text area.
If I then select View/header and footer the layout changes.
If I then close the "header and footer" the layout changes to
precisely the view I want as the default.

This is as I used to have it in Word 97 but I cannot seem to
configure the template "Normal.dot" so that it opens thus.
Even if I Open Normal.dot and change the layout as described and save
it, when I open Word again it has reverted to showing just the text
area. What am I doing wrongly?

What version of Word do you have now? 2003?

Go to Tools Options View and look in the lower right part of the dialog.
If there's a box labeled "White space between pages", check it.

See http://www.gmayor.com/white_space.htm for illustrations.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman