Jubinell Jubinell is offline
Junior Member

Default How to insert a tab without creating a new paragraph

Hi,

In Word 2007 when you press Enter Word automatically create a new paragraph for you by skipping a small "ghost" line that is inaccessible to text entries. When this ghost space was undesirable I often work around the problem by pressing Shift-Enter so that the cursor would move to the following line.

Now here is the problem. At this new line if I were to press 'Tab' the whole paragraph would shift over instead of just the line I'm on. I don't have this problem if I were starting a new paragraph by pressing Enter instead. How to have the tab apply to that one line only without having to create a new paragraph?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, first of all, the "ghost line" is Spacing After, and you can easily
remove that. As for a tab causing a paragraph indent, the setting is at
Office Button | Word Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat
As You Type: "Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces."

http://word.mvps.org

--
Jubinell

Jubinell Jubinell is offline
Junior Member

Even though the description of my problem was horrid your explanation was flawless.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

We do learn to recognize commonly reported problems even when inexpertly
described. g

http://word.mvps.org

Suzanne S. Barnhill;439826 Wrote:
Well, first of all, the "ghost line" is Spacing After, and you can
easily
remove that. As for a tab causing a paragraph indent, the setting is at

Office Button | Word Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options |
AutoFormat
As You Type: "Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces."

http://word.mvps.org

...-

-

--