Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] hwxyz@hotmail.com is offline

Default Does smart tags work properly in Office XP?

I am using Office XP SP3 on Windows XPSP2. In Word 2002, if I enter
some of the names from my Outlook Contacts, not all of the names are
recognized by smart tags.

Is this smart tag feature supposed to detect all names in my Word
document that match the names in my Outlook contacts or is it a buggy
feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi hwxyz

First, you must turn on Smart Tags in two different places.

1. Tools Options. Choose the View tab, and tick the Smart Tags box.

2. Tools Autocorrect Options. Choose the Smart Tags tab. Tick the box
"Label text with smart tags", choose the Smart Tags you want
to use, and tick the box "Show Smart Tag Action buttons".

However, bear in mind that the SmartTags that come with Word only recognize
valid US addresses. For the remaining 95% of the population on the planet,
they don't work.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am using Office XP SP3 on Windows XPSP2. In Word 2002, if I enter
some of the names from my Outlook Contacts, not all of the names are
recognized by smart tags.

Is this smart tag feature supposed to detect all names in my Word
document that match the names in my Outlook contacts or is it a buggy
feature?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] hwxyz@hotmail.com is offline

I just realized that I did not understand how this smart tag feature
works. Evidently, Word "tries" to determine if a name is being used
before the "name" is tagged. Word does not determine if the name is
already in the Outlook contact folder. This was the cause of my
confusion as I thought that Word would always check if there is a
match between the "name" I was entering and the contacts in Outlook.

Still, my name was tagged but my sister's name, Jenet, was not, even
though we have the same last name. Another feature that works some of
the time. Unfortunately, learning a feature that only works some of
the time is an exercise in frustration.

On Feb 20, 5:31 am, "Shauna Kelly"
wrote:
Hi hwxyz

First, you must turn on Smart Tags in two different places.

1. Tools Options. Choose the View tab, and tick the Smart Tags box.

2. Tools Autocorrect Options. Choose the Smart Tags tab. Tick the box
"Label text with smart tags", choose the Smart Tags you want
to use, and tick the box "Show Smart Tag Action buttons".

However, bear in mind that the SmartTags that come with Word only recognize
valid US addresses. For the remaining 95% of the population on the planet,
they don't work.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message

ups.com...

I am using Office XP SP3 on Windows XPSP2. In Word 2002, if I enter
some of the names from my Outlook Contacts, not all of the names are
recognized by smart tags.

Is this smart tag feature supposed to detect all names in my Word
document that match the names in my Outlook contacts or is it a buggy
feature?

Smart tags in Office 2007? WW Microsoft Word Help 2 February 27th 07 05:59 PM
Date Smart Tags in Word 2003 don't seem to work? Cliff Microsoft Word Help 2 September 15th 06 04:35 PM
Smart Tags Jeanne Microsoft Word Help 4 February 10th 06 12:16 AM
Getting rid of smart tags GKW in GA Microsoft Word Help 1 January 2nd 06 03:05 AM
Smart Tags don't work - why? Tod Microsoft Word Help 0 September 20th 05 02:42 PM