endless endless is offline
Junior Member

Default Changing headers for sections

In Word 2007 I've tried to have different headers for different sections of the document. Although I've created page & section breaks (after much struggling, I've had to create breaks on EVERY PAGE to get it to even partially work!), sometimes - but not other times - changing a header in a new section changes some of the headers of previous pages. I've clicked on Link to Previous in the Navigation section - as Word Help has advised - to break the links, but it still happens. I've followed all the steps in Word Help, and yet it doesn't work! Any advice?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that each section can have up to three different headers (and three
different footers); this is the case if "Different first page" and "Different
odd and even" are both selected in the Page Setup dialog box. Each type of
header (and each type of footer) must be separately unlinked from its "neighbor"
in the preceding section. Since you have one-page sections, there are likely
headers you haven't unlinked.

For more, see http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/HeaderFooter.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"endless" wrote in message

In Word 2007 I've tried to have different headers for different sections
of the document. Although I've created page & section breaks (after much
struggling, I've had to create breaks on EVERY PAGE to get it to even
partially work!), sometimes - but not other times - changing a header in
a new section changes some of the headers of previous pages. I've
clicked on Link to Previous in the Navigation section - as Word Help has
advised - to break the links, but it still happens. I've followed all
the steps in Word Help, and yet it doesn't work! Any advice?

--
endless

endless endless is offline
Junior Member

I HAVE unlinked EACH PAGE! But it's still happening! It's driving me crazy! Following the Help instructions doesn't work. I HATE WORD!!!

--
endless [/i][/color][/quote]
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Start by Saving your file As a new name.

Then (inj the new, renamed file) delete EVERY SECTION BREAK IN YOUR
ENTIRE DOCUMENT.

Then save you file;

Then, STARTING AT THE BEGINNING, make sure the first header (and
footer) reads as you want it to. (If you have front matter, they will
probably be empty, or maybe just have a page number.)

Then, Insert a Section Break New Page where you want it to be. (Secton
Break Continuous can play havoc with the headers.) Double-click in the
header area of the first page in the new section. Be sure "Same As
Previous" is NOT checked (in the footer also), and type the text(s)
for the new header (and footer) -- as many as different first page,
left page, and right page if needed.

Then go to where the next Section Break should be, and repeat --
Insert, disconnect, type.

And so on.

Hate isn't a productive emotion.

On Jul 26, 3:17*pm, endless wrote:
I HAVE unlinked EACH PAGE! But it's still happening! It's driving me
crazy! Following the Help instructions doesn't work. I HATE WORD!!!

--
endless

--
endless[/i][/color]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Again, unlinking "pages" isn't enough, even if each page is a separate section.
The importance is the number of headers and footers in each section.

Starting fresh, as Peter suggests, is probably your best option at this time.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"endless" wrote in message

I HAVE unlinked EACH PAGE! But it's still happening! It's driving me
crazy! Following the Help instructions doesn't work. I HATE WORD!!!

--
endless

--
endless [/i][/color]

endless endless is offline
Junior Member

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. But I have a 60-page document and your suggestions will take hours. So much for computers saving us work! I also have a 500-page document that will need to be worked on next. Needless to say, that might take the rest of my life and I'm not looking forward to it. My real issue with this is that - according to Word Help - it shouldn't be necessary to go through these steps. Their instructions are much simpler, but they don't work. Why would they give advice that doesn't work? I know that hatred isn't productive, but it's unavoidable whenever I use this program!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can use Find-Replace to remove all the existing section breaks.
Just open the pane (Ctrl-H), go to "More" and then "Special," and
scroll down to "Section Break" (or simply type ^b in the Find box).
Leave the Replace box empty, and click "Replace All."

Then you can follow my instructions for inserting your handful of
section breaks (if every page needs a different running head, you
shouldn't be using running heads in the first place).

It's a poor workman who blames his tools. (There, I've probably run
out of aphorisms.)

On Jul 31, 6:43*pm, endless wrote:
I appreciate everyone's suggestions. But I have a 60-page document and
your suggestions will take hours. So much for computers saving us work!
I also have a 500-page document that will need to be worked on next.
Needless to say, that might take the rest of my life and I'm not looking
forward to it. My real issue with this is that - according to Word Help
- it shouldn't be necessary to go through these steps. Their
instructions are much simpler, but they don't work. Why would they give
advice that doesn't work? I know that hatred isn't productive, but it's
unavoidable whenever I use this program!

--
endless

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You have sort of been working against Word, rather than along side with it,
which will be time-consuming. :-(

It seems clear that you don't really need all these sections, so you can delete
them as Peter suggested, and continue from there. You could use the following
macro to automate the unlinking for you (for assistance, see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm). Note, however, that you'd have to
run it again if you add more sections (as headers/footers in new sections will
always be linked to their "neighbors" in the preceding section).

Sub UnlinkCurrentHeadersFooters()
Dim s As Section
For Each s In ActiveDocument.Sections
s.Headers(wdHeaderFooterEvenPages).LinkToPrevious = False
s.Headers(wdHeaderFooterFirstPage).LinkToPrevious = False
s.Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).LinkToPrevious = False

s.Footers(wdHeaderFooterEvenPages).LinkToPrevious = False
s.Footers(wdHeaderFooterFirstPage).LinkToPrevious = False
s.Footers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).LinkToPrevious = False
Next s
End Sub

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"endless" wrote in message ...

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. But I have a 60-page document and
your suggestions will take hours. So much for computers saving us work!
I also have a 500-page document that will need to be worked on next.
Needless to say, that might take the rest of my life and I'm not looking
forward to it. My real issue with this is that - according to Word Help
- it shouldn't be necessary to go through these steps. Their
instructions are much simpler, but they don't work. Why would they give
advice that doesn't work? I know that hatred isn't productive, but it's
unavoidable whenever I use this program!

--
endless

endless endless is offline
Junior Member

Perhaps I am a poor workman, that's why I rely on Word's tools, but as I've said, the Help tool is not helpful. If it were, websites like this wouldn't need to exist.
By the way, what's a "running head"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The thing at the top of each page (Word calls it a "header") that has
the title of the book, the title of the chapter, or the author's name,
and the page number, which "run" the same through the whole book or
the whole chapter.