Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nakia Allen Nakia Allen is offline

Default .pn file extension

I created a graphic in CS3 Adobe Illustrator. I was having difficulty saving
the image after it was created, so I copied it and saved it in MS Word 2004
for Mac. After speaking with tech support regarding my inability to save in
CS3, they recommended I uninstall and reinstall the entire program. After I
did this, I was no longer able to open the file I saved in MS Word. The file
extension is .PN but I cannot find any information on opening this type of
file. When I look at the "Get Info" for this file, it says it's a Word file,
but I have yet to be able to open it. This graphic took quite weeks to
create and I don't want to start all over. Does anyone know anything about
..PN files and how to open them?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.mac.office.word

I'm cross-posting this to the Mac Word group.

Have you used File | Open from within Word to try to open the file?

For the future, bookmark this Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for
MacWord, MacExcel, and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

Nakia Allen wrote:
I created a graphic in CS3 Adobe Illustrator. I was having difficulty saving
the image after it was created, so I copied it and saved it in MS Word 2004
for Mac. After speaking with tech support regarding my inability to save in
CS3, they recommended I uninstall and reinstall the entire program. After I
did this, I was no longer able to open the file I saved in MS Word. The file
extension is .PN but I cannot find any information on opening this type of
file. When I look at the "Get Info" for this file, it says it's a Word file,
but I have yet to be able to open it. This graphic took quite weeks to
create and I don't want to start all over. Does anyone know anything about
..PN files and how to open them?

Posted to microsoft.public.mac.office.word,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

AFAIK there is no such extension - certainly not one used by Word if you
used Save As. OTOH, if you Cmd+Clicked the pasted graphic & chose Save as
Picture the default format would be .png - I have a feeling that the
malfunction may have occurred because the pasted image had failed to save in
Illy...perhaps Word just didn't fully understand what to so with it. Even
so, a partial extension is hard to explain. If this is what you tried keep
in mind that even if it had been fully successful Word would not be able to
reopen the .png - it would have to be inserted into a doc as a picture or
opened by a graphics app.

I'd try renaming a duplicate of the file with a .png extension & see if you
can then insert it into a Word doc or reopen it with Illy.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/30/07 11:16 AM, in article
, "Nakia Allen"

Nakia Allen wrote:
I created a graphic in CS3 Adobe Illustrator. I was having difficulty

saving
the image after it was created, so I copied it and saved it in MS Word 2004
for Mac. After speaking with tech support regarding my inability to save in
CS3, they recommended I uninstall and reinstall the entire program. After I
did this, I was no longer able to open the file I saved in MS Word. The

file
extension is .PN but I cannot find any information on opening this type of
file. When I look at the "Get Info" for this file, it says it's a Word

file,
but I have yet to be able to open it. This graphic took quite weeks to
create and I don't want to start all over. Does anyone know anything about
..PN files and how to open them?

Posted to microsoft.public.mac.office.word,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] AcuteMind@gmail.com is offline

Greetings,

Thank you very much. I made a duplicate of the file, changed the
duplicate filename extenstion from .PN to .PNG and then I was able to
open it. Thank you very much to both of you for all of your
assistance!!!

Nakia Allen wrote:
I created a graphic in CS3 Adobe Illustrator. I was having difficulty

saving
the image after it was created, so I copied it and saved it in MS Word 2004
for Mac. After speaking with tech support regarding my inability to save in
CS3, they recommended I uninstall and reinstall the entire program. After I
did this, I was no longer able to open the file I saved in MS Word. The

file
extension is .PN but I cannot find any information on opening this type of
file. When I look at the "Get Info" for this file, it says it's a Word

file,
but I have yet to be able to open it. This graphic took quite weeks to
create and I don't want to start all over. Does anyone know anything about
..PN files and how to open them?

Posted to microsoft.public.mac.office.word,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Glad it was that simple! Still not sure how it came about, though!?!?!?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/31/07 5:14 PM, in article