Nadina

Default Printing all symbols

Can anybody tell me please how to print all the expanded
symbols appearing in the symbols window?

If your printer is not natively capable of printing these symbols, look in
the printer Properties (to gain access to these advanced settings, you may
need to access the Properties through the Printers folder and not from
Word's Print dialog) and see if you can find a setting to print TrueType as
graphics (or similar wording). This will force the printer to print what is
displayed on the screen.

"Nadina" wrote in message
Can anybody tell me please how to print all the expanded
symbols appearing in the symbols window?

Nadina

My printer has no problem with printing the symbols. I
would just like to print on a page all the symbols
together to see what each look like on paper. I'm
interested in the ones in the symbol window of Word
because they seem more complete than the symbols displayed
in the corresponding font sets in Window's control panel
such as Monotype sorts or Webdings.

If your printer is not natively capable of printing these

symbols, look in
the printer Properties (to gain access to these advanced

settings, you may
need to access the Properties through the Printers folder

and not from
Word's Print dialog) and see if you can find a setting to

print TrueType as
graphics (or similar wording). This will force the

printer to print what is
displayed on the screen.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Nadina" wrote in

message
Can anybody tell me please how to print all the expanded
symbols appearing in the symbols window?

.

It's fairly easy to print a reference sheet of a standard symbol font,
because they contain only glyphs 32-255 (more on that in a moment). For the
larger Unicode fonts, you could print out samples, but they would be many
pages long, and it would be a much more involved process. Unless you're
interested in a specific font, you can get samples of various code ranges
(character subsets) from http://www.unicode.org/charts/

1. To create a symbol reference sheet, insert a table with 14 columns and 32
rows.

2. In the odd-numbered columns, type the numbers from 32 to 255 (that is,
32-63 in column 1, 64-95 in column 3, etc.).

3. Select the even-numbered columns and apply the desired font (Wingdings,
for example).

4. In these columns, insert the corresponding character for each number by
pressing, for example, Alt+0032 (on the numeric keypad). 32 is a space, so
you won't see anything, but for 33 and the rest, you should see characters.

This is very tedious for the first font you do, but you can then create a
similar chart for any other symbol font by just changing the font of the
even-numbered columns.