Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ingenue Ingenue is offline

Default Numbering disappears when a document is saved

In Word 2003 I have recently found that numbering disappears when I save a
document and then re-open it. Is there something I can adjust?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Tools | Templates and Add-Ins, make sure that "Automatically apply
document styles" is cleared. Does that help?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ingenue" wrote in message
In Word 2003 I have recently found that numbering disappears when I save a
document and then re-open it. Is there something I can adjust?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ingenue Ingenue is offline

Thank you. I can only find "automatically update document styles" where you
indicate, not "apply". Checking it seems to allow the saving of the numbering
in the specific document , but the check only applies to the particular
document - I have to go to "Templates and add ins" each time. Is that right?

"Ingenue" wrote in message
In Word 2003 I have recently found that numbering disappears when I save a
document and then re-open it. Is there something I can adjust?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

My suggestion was to clear the option, not select it. Clearing it prevents
styles to be updated from the attached template, which could affect any
aspects of formatting, not just numbering. In this case, I'm not sure what
the problem could be. How did you create the numbering in the first place?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ingenue" wrote in message
In Word 2003 I have recently found that numbering disappears when I
save a
document and then re-open it. Is there something I can adjust?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that using the Numbering button does not give you much control. It will
be safer to set up numbering carefully linked to style(s).

For single-level numbering, you can apply the List Number style, which you
can modify to suit your needs (if necessary).

If you are creating outline numbering, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ingenue" wrote in message
In Word 2003 I have recently found that numbering disappears when I
save a
document and then re-open it. Is there something I can adjust?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ingenue Ingenue is offline

Sounds a bit complicated for me. I've used the numbering button for many
years and in variious versions of Word with no problems, and don't understand
why it has suddenly stopped working when files are saved. But there you go....

"Ingenue" wrote in message
In Word 2003 I have recently found that numbering disappears when I
save a
document and then re-open it. Is there something I can adjust?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Numbering is complicated in Word; you have been lucky so far. :-)

If you don't want to start experimenting immediately, you could, as a first
step, Reset the built-in number formats in Format | Bullets and Numbering,
and see if that helps at all. Actually, the current settings in the dialog
box determine what happens when you click the Numbering button on the
toolbar. More specifically, the Numbering button always applies the most
recently used number format.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ingenue" wrote in message
In Word 2003 I have recently found that numbering disappears when
save a
document and then re-open it. Is there something I can adjust?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ingenue Ingenue is offline

Thank you. I've now played around with it a bit and I think I can get a
solution - thanks again for your patience