Fran

Default Word loads templates VERY slowly

I have a user that I upgraded from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP pro
(SP2). All patches and updates have been applied.

The user has Office 2003 installed on the workstation. There are some
750+ document templates that are used in MS Word. Under windows 2000,
when the user selected FILE | NEW and selected "Templates on my
computer" it would open the My Documents folder (on a network share)
and load all previews and folders very fast (a couple second delay was
all that was noticed.)

After upgrading to Windows XP (SP2) it now takes 65 seconds to load a
list of the same templates / folders. If the user closes Word and
reopens the same procedure takes less time (40 seconds)

Why would this change so dramatically between Windows 2000 and Windows
XP ?? What can I do to improve the speed?

-Fran-
garfield-n-odie

Try asking the same question six different times in three
different newsgroups. Oh, wait... maybe that's how NOT to get an
answer. Why you should NOT multipost:
• Net traffic is reduced: Only one copy of your article
needs to flow to the thousands of Usenet servers. And the
thousands of people who read both groups have to download only
one copy, not two.
• Your time is saved: You can look in one place to see all
replies.
• Other people's time is saved: When you multipost, people
in one group can't see answers in the other group, which results
in lots of duplication.
• Multiposting annoys lots of people. Some will tell you
about it; some will keep silent but put you in their kill files,
which means you lose the benefit of their answers to your
questions, forever.

Fran wrote:

I have a user that I upgraded from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP pro
(SP2). All patches and updates have been applied.

The user has Office 2003 installed on the workstation. There are some
750+ document templates that are used in MS Word. Under windows 2000,
when the user selected FILE | NEW and selected "Templates on my
computer" it would open the My Documents folder (on a network share)
and load all previews and folders very fast (a couple second delay was
all that was noticed.)

After upgrading to Windows XP (SP2) it now takes 65 seconds to load a
list of the same templates / folders. If the user closes Word and
reopens the same procedure takes less time (40 seconds)

Why would this change so dramatically between Windows 2000 and Windows
XP ?? What can I do to improve the speed?

-Fran-

Fran

I did not see any of my original posts AND I'm not sure where to post
this. So I am trying to cover the bases. If this annoys you I'm sorry.
If you have any suggestions on how to diagnose this problem they're
greatfully appreciated.

I did not "multi post" this message. I did post the same message on
three groups, however, in search of an answer I cannot find on the
web.

In your review of my posts did you find an answer?

-Fran-