Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Tom is offline

Default Page numbers in different sections

Hello,

I'm currently writing a large, 300 page software manual and have come
across several problems which I think are related. I've written the
manual using Robohelp Office Authoring software. I've then generated
the document into Microsoft Word and I'm now editing it. It has an
automatically-created table of contents.

Problem 1: I wanted to have different headers for different chapters of
my document so I inserted section breaks at the start of each new
chapter. This worked fine and each chapter has a different header.
However, this has created problems with the page numbering in the
document. At the start of each chapter, the page number goes back to
'1'. I've tried to change each page number manually but when I do this
page numbers elsewhere in the document change too. How can I change
things so that the pages of the document are numbered from 1 to 300
again?

Problem 2: Creating section breaks has also mucked up my table of
contents. Usually when I want to update the TOC, I right click on it
and then press 'Update field.' The option to 'update page numbers only'
appears and I choose this. However now when I try and update the TOC it
crashes and the second option does not appear.

Any help is much appreciated,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

1. View | Header and Footer. In the header/footer for each section after the
first, click Format Page Number on the Header and Footer toolbar and select
"Continue from previous section." Note also that, although you may want
section breaks between chapters for other reasons (such as having a
different First Page Header/Footer in each chapter), you can change running
heads without unlinking the headers by using the StyleRef field; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

2. Can't help with this one.

ups.com...