Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
405 TD Estate 405 TD Estate is offline

Default Have a document that always has the document map on the right when you open it

I would like some of my documents to open and show the document map on
the left - how do I do this without modifying the template that affects
all documents?

Regards

Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You could use a document variable (in the relevant documents) and auto
macros (in normal.dot) to determine which documents should open with
the document map displayed. Something like this:

Sub AutoOpen()
Dim v As Variable
For Each v In ActiveDocument.Variables
If v.Name = "ShowDM" Then
If v.Value = "true" Then
ActiveWindow.DocumentMap = True
Else
ActiveWindow.DocumentMap = False
End If
Exit For
End If
Next v

End Sub
Sub AutoClose()
ActiveWindow.DocumentMap = False
End Sub

To create the document variable in a document, just display the Visual
Basic Editor (press Alt+F11); then type the following (in the
Immediate Window):

ActiveDocument.Variables("ShowDM") = "true"

and press Enter.

If you need assistance on installing the macros, see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like some of my documents to open and show the document map
on the left - how do I do this without modifying the template that
affects all documents?

Regards

Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Of course, the AutoClose macro below wouldn't be helpful if
(a) multiple documents are open at the same time and (b) all
of those documents have the document property set to "true,"
since the macro would hide the document map if you closed one
of the documents. To take care of this, a more sophisticated
solution is required. It would be best to ask in a programming
newsgroup about this. Alternatively, just delete the AutoClose
macro (and manually close the document map as needed).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP