Fred Goldman

Default Tab stops and line breaks

OK here's what I'm trying to do:

text text text text text
text text. tab

The words text are my paragraph and the tab is the source (where the info in
the paragraph comes from).

The paragraph is fully justified and I have the source all with non breaking
spaces tab stopped to the right margin. What I would like is if there is
enough space on the last line for the source I would like it to be put there,
but if not it should be put on the next line.
Unfortunately right now all it's doing is leaving it on the same line and
sticking it outside the margin. (It's a lot of instances and I don't want to
have to put manual line breaks).

Any suggestions?

Does this still happen if you put a single space before the tab character?

"Fred Goldman" wrote in message
OK here's what I'm trying to do:

text text text text text
text text text text text
text text. tab

The words text are my paragraph and the tab is the source (where the info

in
the paragraph comes from).

The paragraph is fully justified and I have the source all with non

breaking
spaces tab stopped to the right margin. What I would like is if there is
enough space on the last line for the source I would like it to be put

there,
but if not it should be put on the next line.
Unfortunately right now all it's doing is leaving it on the same line and
sticking it outside the margin. (It's a lot of instances and I don't want

have to put manual line breaks).

Any suggestions?

Well, one way to make Word not justify a line before a line break is to
insert a tab character, but that won't work here. I'm out of ideas. FWIW,
I'm seeing the same thing you do. My inclination would be to insert *all*
source references on a separate line. In fact, I usually use a separate
(right-aligned) style for this.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Does this still happen if you put a single space before the tab

character?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Fred Goldman

Thanks so much, Susan. You've been a great help. What I'm doing now is what
your inclination tells you . The problem is in some cases there are only
one or two words and source is also one or two words and it looks way too
spaced. I was hoping there's a way to automate it putting it on the next line
when it doesn't fit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

To clarify, by "on a separate line" I meant (and meant to say) "in a
separate paragraph." I usually have Quote and Quote Source styles (or
Epigraph and Epigraph Source or whatever) for these paragraphs, with the
latter set as the following style for the former.