Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Morris David Morris is offline

Default Blue background and ToggleFullScreen in Word 2007

I've just purchased Office home and student 2007 to get the new onenote and
powerpoint, and am testing out Word 2007. Aside from the shock of the ribbon,
etc. (is there a way to use the old shortcut keys?) there are two things that
are vital to my ability to use Word as I want: the blue background, white
text option that is there in Word 2000 and 97, and full screen editing mode
as in 97 and 2000. In 2000 I have assigned ctrl alt V to ToggleFull, which
gets me into a mode when all I see on the screen is the text I am working on
in draft mode. Are there any equivalents of these functions in 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

The keyboard shortcuts from 2003 should all work in 2007.
I thought 2007 had the blue background, white text mode, but I can't
find the option for it right now. Maybe someone else knows whether it
still has it or not.
You could switch to draft mode in 2007 and then minimize the ribbon by
either using CTRL-F1 or double-clicking a tab (the same operation will
reverse it). Then the ribbon will be more like a menu.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"David Morris" wrote in message
:

I've just purchased Office home and student 2007 to get the new onenote and
powerpoint, and am testing out Word 2007. Aside from the shock of the ribbon,
etc. (is there a way to use the old shortcut keys?) there are two things that
are vital to my ability to use Word as I want: the blue background, white
text option that is there in Word 2000 and 97, and full screen editing mode
as in 97 and 2000. In 2000 I have assigned ctrl alt V to ToggleFull, which
gets me into a mode when all I see on the screen is the text I am working on
in draft mode. Are there any equivalents of these functions in 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

White-on-blue mode has been removed.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 00:05:06 +0000, "Patrick Schmid [MVP]"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

You could switch to draft mode in 2007 and then minimize the ribbon by
either using CTRL-F1 or double-clicking a tab (the same operation will
reverse it). Then the ribbon will be more like a menu.

In 2000, you can get into a mode where the menu does not show up on the
screen at all or take up any space. You can have your screen fully devoted to
text, with just scroll and status bars, if you like. Is this possible in 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Yes, if you have your Word window only with a width of less than 250
pixels or so. But that is not what you are looking for. So the answer is
no.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

You could switch to draft mode in 2007 and then minimize the ribbon by
either using CTRL-F1 or double-clicking a tab (the same operation will
reverse it). Then the ribbon will be more like a menu.

In 2000, you can get into a mode where the menu does not show up on the
screen at all or take up any space. You can have your screen fully devoted to
text, with just scroll and status bars, if you like. Is this possible in 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

No. Double-click the ribbon and it will shrink to a single line.

White-on-blue has gone forever.

It's fine to want a "Glass Typewriter", and there are products out there
(such as Windows Write, part of Windows) designed for this.

It's fine to want a smarter version of EMACS or TeX too. And Word 2007
ain't it :-) It's not designed for the usage I need, either. But there you
go :-)

Word 2000 is one of my favourite flavours of Word. In the meantime, it's
going to take me quite a while to figure out how to get the hood open on
Word 2007 so I can get rid of the silliness that gets in my way and put it
to work. But I'll get the Patrick's Ribbon Customizer will help a lot
:-)

Cheers

On 18/2/07 12:43 PM, in article
, "David Morris"
wrote:

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

You could switch to draft mode in 2007 and then minimize the ribbon by
either using CTRL-F1 or double-clicking a tab (the same operation will
reverse it). Then the ribbon will be more like a menu.

In 2000, you can get into a mode where the menu does not show up on the
screen at all or take up any space. You can have your screen fully devoted to
text, with just scroll and status bars, if you like. Is this possible in 2007.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Morris David Morris is offline

I've discovered that there is a full screen mode still in Word 2007. If you
look at all commands in the customize panel, you can assign ToggleFull to a
key stroke or stick it on the quick bar (or whatever it is called). Then you
can get into a mode where you just see your text or your scroll bars.

However, in Word 2000 when you are in the equivalent mode you can use key
stroke commands, e.g., Alt F S to save a file. In Word 2007 you cannot. I
consider this a design flaw, if not a bug. Moreoever, in Word 2000, pressing
an Alt + character combination that would drop down a menu does so when you
are in full screen mode. Again, no such luck in 2007.

I do think the removal of the blue background white text mode is an
ergonomic problem. I've read many sources that indicate that this is a source
of eye strain, and I do find the blue background much easier on the eyes. In
fact, this should be customizable. Given that setting the page background to
a different colour changes the way the text display looks in print layout
view, the programming to do this is already available.

Anyway, I am going to stick with 2000 for now.