Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura79

Default Page number restart

I am using Word 2002 with Window Millennium Edition.
I've read the FAQ files on Page Numbering and Section Breaks, but still need
help, please.
Within my document, there is a title page, a Table of Contents, and the body
of the document. I have the page numbers as a footer, TOC in lowercase Roman
numerals, body in Arabic numerals. I was successful in getting the page
numbers of the body text to start at 1, but cannot make the TOC page numbers
start at i (page 1 in lowercase Roman numerals) - no matter what I try, it
starts at ii (because it is counting pages starting with the title page).
The FAQ files talk about inserting different kinds of Section Breaks, but on
my Insert menu there is only "Section Break" with no choices as to what kind
to insert. I did an InsertSection Break at the beginning of the TOC, and it
came out to "Section Break Continuous". (Of note: when I did the same thing
on a different document, it came out to "Next Page Section Break". I even
tried copying and pasting the 'hidden code' from that document where it
worked into the document where it doesn't, but that did not work either.) I
have repeatedly checked the "Restart at i" box, but it stays at "ii" instead.
I have a "Different first page" footer (no page numbers) on the title page.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura79

Thanks, Suzanne, for the "Numbering Front Matter" FAQ page. However, in my
version of Word (Word 2002), there is no option for selecting any particular
kind of section break, from the Insert menu there is only "Insert Section
Break" with no choices other than that. If you select that, then Word insert
a section break, and I have no idea how it decides what kind to insert.

There is no manual page break. I put the cursor at the "T" in "Table of
Contents" (the first page of that I want numbered) and did Insert Insert
Section Break. At first, it shows as "Section Break (Next Page)" and then
when I move the cursor to the next page, it changes to "Section Break (Even
Page)".

I have a "First Page Footer -Section 1-" which is all blank, at the bottom
of the title page (selected "Different first page" in the setup). That part
is fine.

Then I have a "Footer -Section 2-" at the bottom of the first Table of
Contents page. For this, I have formatted the page numbering to be lowercase
Roman numerals, and selected "Start at i". However, the page number is "ii"
and WILL NOT CHANGE to "i", no matter what I do.

What is frustrating about this, is that I have another document in which
Word is doing just what I told it to do, and what I want it to do here -- no
page number on the title page, frontmatter (Table of Contents) has page
numbers starting at "i", and page numbers on the main part of the document
starting at "1". I just cannot figure out what is different between the two
documents that is causing Word to ignore the "Start at i" selection. I even
tried cutting and pasting from the other document, hoping the hidden code
would transfer, but that didn't work either.

Any other thoughts? What have I done wrong?

Thanks for your help.

"Laura79" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Okay, let's deal with the problems in order:

However, in my
version of Word (Word 2002), there is no option for selecting any

particular
kind of section break, from the Insert menu there is only "Insert Section
Break" with no choices other than that. If you select that, then Word

insert
a section break, and I have no idea how it decides what kind to insert.

Assuming you don't have adaptive menus enabled (so you're seeing full
menus), Break... should be the first item on the Insert menu. When you click
on that, you get a dialog offering a selection of break types. Since you're
not actually trying to insert breaks, this doesn't really matter for the
solution of your current problem, but you should still fix this. Open Tools
| Customize and select the Commands tab. In the Categories list, select All
Commands. In the Commands list, scroll down to InsertBreak and drag it to
the Insert menu. Hover over Insert until the menu opens, then drop the
command on the menu.

There is no manual page break.

You can insert a manual page break (if needed) by pressing Ctrl+Enter.

Then I have a "Footer -Section 2-" at the bottom of the first Table of
Contents page. For this, I have formatted the page numbering to be

lowercase
Roman numerals, and selected "Start at i". However, the page number is

"ii"
and WILL NOT CHANGE to "i", no matter what I do.

If you set page numbering to start at 1 (or i), then unless the page in
question is the first page of a section and you have told Word to start
renumbering in each section, the page number you get will be the actual page
number. Every page has a number whether it is printed on the page or not. If
you have "Different first page" enabled, then a Footer (as opposed to a
First Page Footer) always begins on the *second* page of the section, so you
would expect it to to show page ii. FWIW, numbering conventionally begins
with the title page (i) and continues throughout the front matter, each page
having a number whether it is displayed or not.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Laura79" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura79

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Okay, let's deal with the problems in order:
snip

Open Tools | Customize and select the Commands tab. In the Categories list,
select All
Commands. In the Commands list, scroll down to InsertBreak and drag it to
the Insert menu. Hover over Insert until the menu opens, then drop the
command on the menu.

[Laura79:] HOORAY! - Now I am seeing what the FAQ files keep talking about.
Thank You!!

There is no manual page break.

You can insert a manual page break (if needed) by pressing Ctrl+Enter.

Thanks, but I was just confirming that I did not have one there, per
instructions in the FAQ file.

snip

FWIW, numbering conventionally begins with the title page (i) and continues
throughout the front matter, each page having a number whether it is
displayed or not.

[Laura79: ] OK, then I will stop trying to "fix" it.

Thank you so much for your help, Suzanne. You're the tops!