Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon G Sharon G is offline

Default How to save auto text to a readable file

Does anyone know how to save your auto text to a readable file? I know you
can print it out to a hard copy by going to print, and in the "print what"
box, choosing auto text entries. But if I select the print to file box, I get
a file that I do not know how to open as a readable file. Is there a program
that opens this so it is legible?
Once I have a readable file, is there a quick way to restore these entries
to a new normal.dot file, other than manually re-entering them or using the
organizer in the templates and add ons feature?

Thanks for any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Download the AutoTextDumper template from http://jay-freedman.info. Unzip
the downloaded file into your User Templates folder (whatever is listed for
that in Tools Options File Locations). Use File New to make a document
based on AutoTextDumper.dot. Click the button on the floating toolbar,
select the template whose AutoText you want to dump, and click OK. It will
create an ordinary printable document containing a table of your AutoText
entries.

The AutoTextLoader template from the same web page will reload the document
into a template of your choice.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Sharon G wrote:
Does anyone know how to save your auto text to a readable file? I
know you can print it out to a hard copy by going to print, and in
the "print what" box, choosing auto text entries. But if I select the
print to file box, I get a file that I do not know how to open as a
readable file. Is there a program that opens this so it is legible?
Once I have a readable file, is there a quick way to restore these
entries to a new normal.dot file, other than manually re-entering
them or using the organizer in the templates and add ons feature?

Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Jay's solution will be much better for you, but note for future reference
that the missing piece of the puzzle is that when you print to file you need
to do so with the Generic/Text Only printer selected. You'll still get some
extra garbage, but most of the file will be plain text.