Continuous line numbering messes up with track changes

Old September 24th 10, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Karen Waldron

Default Continuous line numbering messes up with track changes

My 20-page document has continuous line numbering and my revisions are
tracked using right margin bubbles (except for text additions, which
are in the body, in red). In Word 2003, the line numbering is
perfectly conserved in the page layouts for "final" and "final showing
markup". In Word 2007, this is not the case. The numbering is way
increased in "final showing markup" and there is even a huge jump in
numbering between pages (i.e., the last line on page 9 is line 250 and
the first line on p. 10 is 256).

How do I make Word 2007 mimic Word 2003 so that both options
(continuous line numbering, and final showing markup layout) work?
Old September 26th 10, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Itís a known issue with Word that numbering may be incorrect in documents where you are tracking changes.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old April 8th 19, 02:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mira[email protected]

On Friday, September 24, 2010 at 12:47:58 PM UTC-4, Karen Waldron wrote:
My 20-page document has continuous line numbering and my revisions are
tracked using right margin bubbles (except for text additions, which
are in the body, in red). In Word 2003, the line numbering is
perfectly conserved in the page layouts for "final" and "final showing
markup". In Word 2007, this is not the case. The numbering is way
increased in "final showing markup" and there is even a huge jump in
numbering between pages (i.e., the last line on page 9 is line 250 and
the first line on p. 10 is 256).

How do I make Word 2007 mimic Word 2003 so that both options
(continuous line numbering, and final showing markup layout) work?

This is STILL a problem in Word 2018 (version 16.21 for Mac). How come Microsoft have ignored this horrible amateur-level fault for over a decade! Do people just not use line numbers anymore? Or is it that microsoft engineers cannot find out how to fix it?