Spanish Web User

Default Gramatical corrections + accentuation needed on spanish documents

Below the "business templates", you posted a title to a spanish template
incorrectly or at least, it may be confusing for many of your web users. The
word used by the site was "planeación". I assume that you were trying to use
the title "business financial planning".

If that was the intention, then the correct title should be " planificación
financiera de negocios" or "planificación financiera para negocios". (the
word "planificación is considered to be a universal term for planning) Some
gramatical mistakes are as follows: (1) missing accents (that's a biggy in
the spanish language).
In the spanish language, an accent that has been placed incorrectly, or the
absence of an mandatory accent MAY OR WILL dramatically change the meaning of
a word, a sentence or even a phrase; (2) the word "planeación" is a bit
confusing at first and I'll tell you why. Many spanish words are used only
within a specific region within a specific country, BUT, you have to be very
careful because it can mean different things for different people. Many
people believe that the spanish language is more or less like the english
language, no matter if you're in Washington state or you're in the state of
Florida, ... a cake is a cake...is a cake.

Unfortunely, this rule does not apply in the spanish language. So, the
question is, how do you prevent this from happening?, you go by the book. The
best dictionaries for translations from english to spanish, and spanish to
english are (in my opinion): are Webster, Harrap's Concise Spanish, or even
better, if the word has not been approved by "La AcademÃ*a Real Española",
which is, as far as the spanish language, the Royal Academy for the Spanish
Language, who are also the one's responsable for approving and disapproving
the use of spoken and written words for the spanish language, and is also is
considered to be our "language bible"; if that's the fact, then it's not
correct or you'll discover that the term that you are trying to use has been
used incorrectly within the context of a sentence or a phrase in the spoken
or written spanish language. Resulting in an incorrect use of the word, or a
confusing message.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, ON THE CONTRARY, I think it's
absolutely wonderful that the spanish speaking community can now begin to use
your wonderful web page.

In my personal and humble opinion, I believe that anything and everything
that has a "Microsoft" logo on it, is just simply awesome and trustworthy.
The latino market is a HUGE one, but, just like Ripley said: (...and I
quote), ..."believe it or not"...; the spanish language is so rich, we just
have to make sure that we (spanish speakers) are all on the same page, and
that not only we speak the same language, we have to ensure that all spanish
readers are understanding and getting the exact same information and message.
We also have to ensure that even though we're all speaking the "same"
language, we can actually understand and agree on the information that's
trying to be delivered , and of course, we always want to keep "confusions"
and "language barriers" at a minimum.

I admit, it's not an easy task. I traslated many outpatient clinics
brochures for a hospital in the state of New York. As we all know, N.Y. has a
huge latino population from all parts of the globe, and, it was my
responsability at the time to ensure that ALL spanish speaking patients who
read these brochures were reading, interpreting, and had total comprehension
of the information we wanted to deliver. Like I said before, it was not an
easy task, but the job was done, everyone was on the same page, and that made
me a very very happy and satisfied translator.

By the way...the word "planeación" is a derivation from the word "planear",
which means "to plan", but also means "to glide". So, depending in what part
of Latin America you live, some people may interpret the title of the
document as: :"Planificación Financiera de Negocios", which means "Business
Financial Planning" and many others may have just understood, "Planeación
Financiera de Negocios", which may have meant for many many people: "
Financial Gliding Business" (?)

Interesting huh?

Great page, awesome templates (I use them all the time), great job...and
good luck!
Keep up the great work!!
Mrs. A. Colón

P.D. You see, my last name is a great example of what an accent can do. If
you pronounce it incorrectly, or you do not use the accent at all, you will
end up giving my last name a whole new meaning!

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm....word.newusers