RogerKni

Default How can one create unnumbered captions?

Word automatically appends a number when I create a caption using my
user-entered New Label. There seems to be no way to tell it not to do this.

If you don't want to number the captions, then's there not much point in
using the Caption feature.

"RogerKni" wrote in message
Word automatically appends a number when I create a caption using my
user-entered New Label. There seems to be no way to tell it not to do

this.

RogerKni

The point of using the Caption feature without numbering is to be able to
create a Table of Figures that autmatically produces page numbers and links
referencing each Figure. Such Figures would be titled only. Many books have
titled, unnumbered Figures and tables of illustrations.

"RogerKni" wrote in message
Word automatically appends a number when I create a caption using my
user-entered New Label. There seems to be no way to tell it not to do

this.

Stefan Blom

Create a style or manually apply the built-in caption style and, for
each figure, type the text which should be included in a table of
figures. You can create a table of figures from that style, using the
Index and Tables
dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you don't want to number the captions, then's there not much

point in
using the Caption feature.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"RogerKni" wrote in message
Word automatically appends a number when I create a caption

using my
user-entered New Label. There seems to be no way to tell it not

to do
this.

As Stefan says, you can create a Table of Figures (or TOC) from any given
style. It doesn't have to be the Caption style, nor does it have to be
created using the Insert | Caption feature. See
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html. In the Table of Figures
Options, you can check the box for style and select a specific style, or you
can use one or more styles in a TOC.