MichaelM

Default Stopping heading numbering formatting showing up in table of conte

G'day,

have been stumped for a while now by this problem. I have a nice heading
style in my document that is of this format:

Chapter 1
Chapter Title

The Chapter Title appears on the next line because the font is large enough
that it wraps to the next line since it won't all fit on 1.

The "Chapter 1" font is white, bold, uppercase, engraved and size 36 (I have
it on top of a black image background). The "Chapter 1" text is created from
heading 1 level 1 numbering, whereas the "chapter title" text is what I typed
in for that specific heading. The "Chapter Title" font is black, bold,
lowercase and shadowed. When I create a table of contents, this heading shows
up like this:

Chapter 1 Chapter Title.....................7

which is fine, EXCEPT the "Chapter 1" appears in size 12, white, engraved
font. The "Chapter Title" part appears in normal black 12 size font, which is
good. I have spent many hours trying to get the TOC to insert the numbering
part of this heading ("Chapter 1") as normal text. When you change the TOC 1
style, it changes how the "Chapter Title" font is displayed, but only changes
aspects of the "Chapter 1" part. For instance, if I set the TOC 1 style to be
embossed, this will change the ENTIRE "Chapter 1 Chapter Title" text in the
TOC to embossed. But if I don't set any of the formatting in that column of
the font dialog box for the TOC 1 style (so don't emboss, engrave, outline or
shadow it), the "Chapter 1" text stays as white, size 12 engraved (so like a
size 12 version of the numbering in the actual heading), and the "Chapter
title" text appears as it should according to the TOC 1 style - size 12 black
normal text.

How can I get the "Chapter 1" part of the text in the TOC to be normal, size
12 text like it should be according to the TOC 1 style. When I position the
mouse inside the "Chapter 1" text in the TOC, it says it is TOC 1 style, but
when I right click and look at the font, it is engraved.

By 'numbering' I mean the "Chapter 1" part of the text - which was created
using the numbering dialog box, with text "Chapter" followed by the number
field. The font of the numbering part of the heading was set by going into
the numbering dialog box and setting the font for it to size 36, white,
engraved, uppercase etc.

TOC entries pick up any direct font formatting, that is, any formatting that
is not part of the paragraph style. I can only assume that Word is
interpreting your number formatting as direct formatting because it is *not*
the default paragraph font, even though it is, in a sense, defined as part
of the style (I assume).

If in fact the numbering was *not* defined as part of the style, then that
would be the first approach to take. For more on this, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html, with
special attention to the part about linking the numbering level to the
style.

Another approach would be to make chapter number and chapter title separate
styles. That way you don't have to define the numer formatting separately
from the default paragraph font. That is:

1. Define a Chapter Number style that is white, bold, uppercase, engraved,
and size 36 and has "Chapter #" numbering applied. Do not give this style a
TOC outline level.

2. Use Heading 1 for the chapter title as before. To get the chapter number
in the TOC, add "Chapter #" numbering to TOC 1.