Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarkN

Default Find and Replace

Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using l*g it will
find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late arriving'. When I use the
above find criteria I pick up all three of these examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find individual words?
--
Thanks,
MarkN
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using l*g
it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late arriving'.
When I use the above find criteria I pick up all three of these
examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find individual
words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Although... that won't match anything starting with a capital L, since all
wildcard searches are case specific. The following variation should work
with capitals as well, and won't match "long-living":

[lL][a-z,A-Z]@[gG]

If he wants hyphenated stuff to match, he could use:

[lL][! ]@[gG]

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using l*g
it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late arriving'.
When I use the above find criteria I pick up all three of these
examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find individual
words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarkN

Gents,

Thanks for your prompt response, I will give your suggestions a go. Without
sounding ungrateful (!!), I was hoping for something a little more generic to
allow me to use wildcards but only return whole words as opposed to strings.

I am having other issues where wildcards are not behaving as I believe they
have done in the past. I am currently working on a quite heavily customised
Normal.dot and so could either of you let me know whether my assertion about
what should be found with the examples in my original question are correct.
--
Thanks again,
MarkN

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Although... that won't match anything starting with a capital L, since all
wildcard searches are case specific. The following variation should work
with capitals as well, and won't match "long-living":

[lL][a-z,A-Z]@[gG]

If he wants hyphenated stuff to match, he could use:

[lL][! ]@[gG]

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using l*g
it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late arriving'.
When I use the above find criteria I pick up all three of these
examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find individual
words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

MarkN,

Well no your assertion is not correct:

l*g finds word starting with "l" and everything between that and a word
ending in "g."

Or l "A word starting with "l" * "everything" g "until the end of word
ending in "g."

To prevent bridging over words, you have to exclude the " "

So something like [! ]@ would find all individual words.

--

MarkN wrote:
[...]

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using
l*g it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late
arriving'. When I use the above find criteria I pick up all three
of these examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find individual
words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

See:
http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

--

MarkN wrote:
[...]

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using
l*g it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late
arriving'. When I use the above find criteria I pick up all three
of these examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find individual
words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarkN

Thanks for clearing that up Greg, could you let me know one more thing, as I
now don't understand the difference between l*g and l*g, do they do the
same thing?
--
Thanks,
MarkN

MarkN wrote:
[...]

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using
l*g it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late
arriving'. When I use the above find criteria I pick up all three
of these examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find individual
words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarkN

Hi Greg,

Doesn't the link to the gmayor website says exactly what I said, that the
limts a wildcard search to a word and not a string. Am I missing something
here?
--
Thanks,
MarkN

MarkN wrote:
[...]

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using
l*g it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late
arriving'. When I use the above find criteria I pick up all three
of these examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find individual
words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

Well no.

Take a document containing the single word "Clang."

l*g would find nothing
l*g would find the "lang" in "Clang"

--

MarkN wrote:
[...]

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using
l*g it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late
arriving'. When I use the above find criteria I pick up all three
of these examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find
individual words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

No it doesnt' say that it limits it to a word.

Grahams says:

s*t would find secret and serpent, but not sailing boats and sign over
documents.

However, and maybe Graham should add this, it will find "sailing boat" and
"sign over document" among several other strings in this sentence.

Again s anchors the start of a find string to a word starting with "s" and
t anchors the end of a find string to a word ending with "t." As
illustrated here, the starting word and ending word do not have to be the
same word.

--

MarkN wrote:
[...]

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using
l*g it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late
arriving'. When I use the above find criteria I pick up all three
of these examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find
individual words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarkN

This means that there is no difference between l*g and l*g
--
Thanks,
MarkN

MarkN wrote:
[...]

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using
l*g it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late
arriving'. When I use the above find criteria I pick up all three
of these examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find
individual words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

No it doesn't! Try it with the string:
long, longer longest along landing

MarkN wrote:
[...]

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using
l*g it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late
arriving'. When I use the above find criteria I pick up all
three of these examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find
individual words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

Mark they may appear the same is some cases. Take:

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their county.

and

The Nightly News."

Both n*y and n*y would find the same thing.

But as I mentioned earlier and as shown in Graham's reply, this is more
often not the case.

What specifically are you trying to do?

--

MarkN wrote:
[...]

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using
l*g it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late
arriving'. When I use the above find criteria I pick up all
three of these examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find
individual words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarkN

Thanks for your assistance in this, I am trying to do several things with
wildcards but will just have to sit down and get to grips with them through
practise and perseverance.

My biggest current problem is how to find all words in a document that have
been abbreviated with an apostrophe (there's, it's, etc) and replace these
with the complete words (there is, it is, etc).

I've been trying with *'s but that is obviously not correct...
--
Thanks again,
MarkN

MarkN wrote:
[...]

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
Mark,

Use: l[! ]@g

--

MarkN wrote:
Hello,

I was under the impression that if I do a wildard search using
l*g it will find words such as 'long' and 'lag' but not 'late
arriving'. When I use the above find criteria I pick up all
three of these examples.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I only find
individual words?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg

This should find most.
[! ]@'[s-t]

Not sure what you are going to put in the replace field when you find
words like Mark's, Greg's, didn't, wouldn't, etc.

You might consider using a Find and Replace Word list to

Find Replace
isn't is not
there's there is
etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob S

On 8 Mar 2006 18:23:17 -0800, Greg wrote:

This should find most.
[! ]@'[s-t]

Surprisingly, this does not work! A paragraph mark is not a space
character, so this pattern will find the last word of a paragraph.

That's followed by a paragraph starting with an apostrophe-s word as
well as the desired word. I.e. here it would mark everything from-to
"paragraph.That's".

The concept of "anything that's not a space" leaves you open to all
kinds of interesting special characters. Paragraph marks is the first
one I hit, but tabs and other things will probably fail too. Maybe
also non-breaking spaces.

Try this for apostrophe-s words; it might work better:

[a-z,A-Z]@'[s]

Bob S

Find and Replace GREEK symbols in XP, 2K & 97 Jazz Microsoft Word Help 3 April 8th 05 08:13 PM
Problem with function "Find and Replace" in Word. Pat Microsoft Word Help 3 March 16th 05 01:04 PM
Find and Replace Michael R New Users 11 January 22nd 05 05:31 PM
Find and Replace anomaly BruceM Microsoft Word Help 7 January 18th 05 05:47 PM
find and replace symbols Tewodaj New Users 8 January 11th 05 02:22 AM