Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Slesinger Slesinger is offline

Default page number not appearing on first page of chapters

I am trying to complete my dissertation. The pages are numbering correctly,
but the page number is not showing on the first page of each chapter. Is
this normal? Is there a way to get it to not show on page one but show on
subsequent first pages of chapters?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It sounds as if your chapters are separated by section breaks and "Different
first page" is enabled. It's not unusual to omit a page number on the first
page if the number is in the header, or you can put a number in the footer
(centered) on the first page of the chapter.

"Slesinger" wrote in message
news
I am trying to complete my dissertation. The pages are numbering

correctly,
but the page number is not showing on the first page of each chapter. Is
this normal? Is there a way to get it to not show on page one but show on
subsequent first pages of chapters?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Slesinger Slesinger is offline

Does that mean that I should just use the new page command for each chapter
rather than the section break?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds as if your chapters are separated by section breaks and "Different
first page" is enabled. It's not unusual to omit a page number on the first
page if the number is in the header, or you can put a number in the footer
(centered) on the first page of the chapter.

"Slesinger" wrote in message
news
I am trying to complete my dissertation. The pages are numbering

correctly,
but the page number is not showing on the first page of each chapter. Is
this normal? Is there a way to get it to not show on page one but show on
subsequent first pages of chapters?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I wouldn't advise this if the page numbers are in the header, since it is
conventional not to have a header on the first page of a chapter. If the
page numbers are in the footer and you have no header, and there is no other
necessity for having section breaks, then, yes, you can get by with a page
break, but you'd be better advised to instead add "Page break before" to the
formatting of the style you use for the chapter number or title (that is,
the first paragraph of each new chapter).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds as if your chapters are separated by section breaks and

"Different
first page" is enabled. It's not unusual to omit a page number on the

first
page if the number is in the header, or you can put a number in the

footer
(centered) on the first page of the chapter.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Slesinger" wrote in message
news
I am trying to complete my dissertation. The pages are numbering

correctly,
but the page number is not showing on the first page of each chapter.

Is
this normal? Is there a way to get it to not show on page one but

show on
subsequent first pages of chapters?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Slesinger Slesinger is offline

Thank you. As I don't have headers I will make sure I add page break before
to the formatting. Susan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds as if your chapters are separated by section breaks and

"Different
first page" is enabled. It's not unusual to omit a page number on the

first
page if the number is in the header, or you can put a number in the

footer
(centered) on the first page of the chapter.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news I am trying to complete my dissertation. The pages are numbering